Multiple Range Extenders & Guest Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-25 18:38:02
Model: RE815XE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230213 Rel. 152426

I am running an Archer AX3200 router with a RE815X range extender in One Mesh mode. I would like to add a second range extender to expand the coverage of the guest network. I understand that the guest network cannot operate as a mesh system, but, before purchasing more hardware, I want to make sure that I can add one on for the guest network that will still allow the mesh to work on the main network and which will also block guest access to the main network.

If that can be done, which would be the best range extender to use - another RE815X or just getting a dual channel extender since it won't be needing the backhaul.

Thanks for any answers and suggestions.

--- Mike
Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple Range Extenders & Guest Network
2023-08-29 02:00:44

@schmieg 

Hi, welcome to the community.

You are right that the Guest network of Archer AX3200 does not support Onemesh. So if you plan to use an extender(for example RE815x) to expand the wireless coverage of AX3200, It needs to be set up in an ordinary way without OneMesh but the extended network of re815X would still be separated from the main network of AX3200.

Since the Onemesh feature is no longer used, the model does not have to be RE815X, you could randomly pick up another WiFi 6 range extender here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/?filterby=5730

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-08-29 03:00:35

@David-TP 

Would it be possible to retain the One Mesh for the main network and add another range extender for the guest network that would be set up in the normal manner?

--- Mike
Options
2023-08-29 11:00:42

@schmieg 

Hi, yes.

Options
2023-08-29 15:53:51

@David-TP 

Thank you. I thought that is how it should work, but I've run into strange things before. Now, I need to decide whether to expand the current set up or switch to a WiFi6e system for a lot more money.

--- Mike
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 292

Replies: 4

Related Articles