Deco M5 unit randomly changing Default Gateway

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-06 16:13:05
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

Hey

For some reason my Deco M5 unit has been randomly changing the Default Gateway number from 192.168.xxx.xxx to 172.xxx.xxx.xxx for no apparent reason. It's probably happend 3 or 4 times including twice in the last week. I also running 3 Win10 pc's in the house and I've assigned them all static IP addresses thru IP4 properties. However on 2 of these pc's the static IP had radomly changed including yesterday in the bedroom. It went from 192.168.xxx.112 to 192.168.xxx.114. Does anyone know what is causing this or what's causing it? It really messes with my nfs server when it happens. This never ever happened with my old Netgear. Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 unit randomly changing Default Gateway
2021-01-06 21:56:13 - last edited 2021-01-06 21:56:22

@FuSchnickens 

I've seen that happen to Deco units where the main Deco no longer is getting an internet connection so the LAN ports freak out and you see the 172.x.x.x address. 

If it is possible to see the modem logs maybe that may show if drops are happening to verify yourself. Calling the ISP may just have them say everything is fine on their end. 

In the meantime, you can try swapping the main Deco unit with another if the Deco itself could be dropping the connection.

Options
Re:Deco M5 unit randomly changing Default Gateway
2021-01-07 14:09:42
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the modem is ok thru all this since the wifi remains good. It only messes with my wired connections since I have 3 win10 pc's with a static ip address I assigned thru IP4 properties. What's the 172 range designate? Why that range when it happens. Oh yea I've also had my so called static IP's assign change. I see there's no internet activity so I have to let windows find it the connection returns then I do an ipconfig and it's changed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 566

Replies: 2