Archer AX50 Daily Connection Drops

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-06 23:54:32
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 (200708), 1.0.8 (200426)

I'll start with the fact this issue is on the forum already in other posts but there does not seem to be a resolution.  I initially bought this router in June and everything worked great, but at a certain point, I can't remember exactly when, I started to have full connection drops every couple of days.  Devices can still contact the router (I can log in and changes settings) and the modem is still online, but the router and modem stop communicating.  Wired and Wireless connections do not have internet.  The only messages in the router's log is WAN/LAN ON/OFF messages when there is a connection issue.  Typically the WAN (Planet) light turns orange, but sometimes it stays green without connection.  I first thought that it was the Modem just being bad, but after testing it with Spectrum they determined that it wasn't a Modem issue, that the Modem had not dropped connection or kicked anything off.  Still, even though they said that, I requested another Modem because it was to the point I was resetting the Modem multiple times a day.  I get the new modem and it was good for about a day and we're back to daily drops again.

I have tried all of the solutions offered on this forum for this device to include turn it all off and on again, changing various settings including DNS servers, Cloning the MAC address, setting a daily router reboot, updating the firmware to the newest version, downgrading the firmware to a previous version, messing with QoS settings, getting a new modem, (Search the forum or google for AX50 connection issues to see all the things I've tried in detail)

I finally got tired of troubleshooting and felt like I exhausted all self help options and contacted support via chat.  After explaining all of this to the support agent I feel frustrated.  Why?  Because I was essentially told that when it loses connection again, to turn it off and turn it on again. 

To be fair I will explain the steps as written:

Do this only when the Planet light is orange on the Router.

Do the steps below with modem while Archer AX50 is powered ON and connected on modem.

1. turn off/unplug modem.

2. unscrew coaxial cable.

3. Turn on modem (leave the coaxial cable unscrew) wait for at least 30 seconds

4. screw back the coaxial cable.

Now given that I have tried about everything aside from spinning around 3 times and clapping my hands while standing on one leg, this was not a solution I was expecting.  I had explained that the modem had been reset daily and even replaced, and that includes removing coaxial cable.  I have seen IP refreshes during all the troubleshooting I had been doing.  So I simply and calmly asked the agent what we were hoping for here since it had already been done.  He said that it would refresh the IP and needed to be done exactly this way when the light turns orange.  I'm going to try it, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and try it exactly like this, but I have a suspicious that like everything else, nothing will magically fix itself here.

If a support agent pops in, my case number is 16183368.  I have a log from today to share if needed.

So what am I doing here?  Well, I'm hoping for something I haven't tried.  What I don't want to do is spend the next two weeks baby stepping my way through solutions that have been done like I was just given.  The last firmware update for this router was August.  Someone needs to try and figure out what this issue is here because if it's a bug, it needs to be fixed, if it's a faulty router, I'd love my money back as this isn't a $50 router I can just toss and buy a new one.

I apologize for getting a bit ranty here but this is months in the making and I'm beginning to think that I should just go right to support whenever I have an issue rather than try to troubleshoot everything on my own because support always goes right to turn it off and turn it on again solutions first.  Which I get it, you're supposed to go with the simplest first, I learned that when I was getting certified in A+ and Net+, but when I tell you that I've done it, maybe we shouldn't try that again.  Thank you if you've made it this far and are still willing to help.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 Daily Connection Drops
2021-01-07 17:34:54

@Dbrn47 

I would check the modem system logs for any critical 3 or critical 4 errors. Those errors relate to the cable signal that goes into your modem which causes random internet drops (amber LED light). If you do find those errors reach out to the ISP and mention that.

If there are not any of those errors, keep following up with support as once troubleshooting is done, the replacement process would then begin.

Options
2021-01-08 06:54:20

@Dbrn47 

the router runs very very hot and has no internal fan, if you elevate one side of it or get it some more active cooling it should fix it. i had a problem with the 5ghz channel dropping out every couple of hours. I elevated the rear of the router to help with airflow and that fixed it. good luck!

Options
2021-01-15 01:25:40

@Dbrn47 

I am having the same exact issues.....internet drops countless times a day.  The internet light goes orange for 2-10 seconds and comes back on, sometimes I lose all internet access sometimes not at all.  Ive scoured the forums and no one seems to know what is going on.  Ive changed all types of settings, thresholds, etc with no luck.  I think its time to purchase a new router, its driving me crazy

Options
2021-01-15 03:13:23

@JonnySoso 

Try my solution.. I fixed it with some active cooling. The router runs really hot. I added a laptop cooler underneath and now I have no problems.

Options
2021-01-17 11:46:29

@mrboom 

I actually got a cooling pad and some fans and it seems like it did the trick for now. Thanks

Options
2021-01-17 22:10:17 - last edited 2021-01-17 22:10:40

@mrboom 

Well, mine is mounted on the wall so getting a fan underneath it would be a bit tough.

Options
2021-02-23 21:01:53

I am attempting to start the RMA process at this point as I could not find a solution to the issue and am still having problems.  Since trying what support suggested, the drops still happen but now with no orange lights, almost like a short reboot.  Unfortunately, this particular model or version of the model just appears to have this problem, whether it be to heat or something else.  I give up as I have spent way too much time on this already.  I appreciate the suggestions.

Options
2021-07-17 05:40:06

It was fine for about a couple months, now it keeps limiting my speed to 80-90, its driving me crazy

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1253

Replies: 8