Deco X60 ethernet backhaul with Xfinity X1 Modem/wifi-router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-13 15:21:09
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just purchased deco X60, 3 pack. I want to setup mesh network that uses my existing Xfinity gateway (modem/wifi-router combo) to wire ethernet backhaul and use the same ssid on x60 mesh. Here is how I am planning to connect them……

Xfinity modem/wifi-router(ssid1) à gigabit switch à Deco1, Deco2 and Deco3.

1. Can this be done and still be able to broadcast same ssid1 throughout house? My house is wired and each room has ethernet port that I will hookup each deco. So, each deco will be connecting to gigabit switch in basement. Please keep in mind that ssid1 is also being broadcast by Xfinity modem/wifi-router.
  2. Will I be able to use all mesh features? Along with firewall, virus protect etc.
  3. Do I need to wire each deco direct to switch or direct to modem/wifi-router combo? Or any other way to get what want to achieve.

Thanks for help.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X60 ethernet backhaul with Xfinity X1 Modem/wifi-router
2021-01-14 16:46:55 - last edited 2021-01-14 16:48:36

@wifinovice 

You can have the Deco used the same SSID you have, but note that having the same name does not mean everything will be mesh. When you are around the Deco units, the nodes will recommend the best node to connect to. When you move from the Deco to your ISP router, it will be up to your device to determine what to connect to.

1. In Router Mode, only the main Deco can be wired to the router or the one device receiving the internet connection. The satellite unit must be connected behind the main Deco, be it a switch behind the main Deco or connected to the main Deco via WiFi.

If you want to be able to connect each Deco directly to the switch instead, you can change the operation mode of the Deco to Access Point Mode. Here is an article that talks about the mode: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2420/

2. Regardless of mode you will still have the mesh features. Firewall and virus features are apart of the router mode (FAQ link above).

3. If you want to stay with router mode, the main Deco can be wired to the modem/router then have the switch wired to the main Deco, then have the satellite units wired to the switch. If you opt for AP Mode, then you would continue with the setup you planned and wire all Deco nodes to the switch.

Options
2021-01-15 13:01:29

@Tony 

Hi Tony, if you use access point mode, does the mesh work seamlessly? you don't need to turn off or on the wifi for your devices to connect to the nearest node? As from what I read from the other thread, there's a seamless switching mode but advise not to enable so to not break the device?

Options
2021-01-16 00:04:24

@OKeefe 

The mesh features still work in AP Mode so your device will roam. The Deco utilizes the 802.11 k/v/r protocols which gives the ability to roam. If your device supports those protocols then it should seamlessly roam. If you have an older device then the device itself will just choose on its own without the help of the Deco.

I think the seamless switch is seen on wireless cards such as roaming levels you can set.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3365

Replies: 3

Related Articles