Deco S4 How can I keep my same WiFi name in Access Point?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-14 22:09:41

I've read so much about switching to AP mode but still cannot find my answer.  We know when we set up the units, it won't let you use your existing WiFi name as it's already in use.  So I can't choose AP mode until I create a new WiFi name.  Then, I go in and switch to AP mode after setup is complete.  When the units reboot, will they automatically assume the name of my current WiFi Router or will I still have to use a separate name?  Furthermore, I'll turn WiFi off on my existing router.  Will I then be able to use the same name?  Right now I'm operating on 2 separate networks and, as so many have posted already, they don't talk to each other.  Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco S4 How can I keep my same WiFi name in Access Point?
2021-01-15 21:19:06

@mrod500 

You can use the same network name on your main router and Deco regardless of mode. The Deco won't scan for existing wireless networks and prevent a name from being used. When you set up the Deco units it will always be set up in router mode as that is the default method. Once the Deco has been set up, you can then change the mode to AP Mode. When switching modes whatever name and password was given to the Deco during set up will still be the same.

So you can have your main wireless router have its network name, and the Deco also using the same network name. It will come down to your device on which to connect to if you were moving from the Deco to your main wireless router. 

Options
2021-01-15 23:17:22

@Tony Not sure I'm making myself clear.  When i fire up the Deco and pick a the same name as my current WiFi router, it tells me that name is already in use.  All my devices in my house are connected to that name.  I want to keep the same name, whether in AP mode or router mode, so I don't have to create a whole new network name.  Is that possible?  No one seems to know the answer to this...

Options
2021-01-18 21:31:01

@mrod500 

The Deco app never prevented you from naming your network anything you wanted it to.

Here is the setup for the Deco: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/

Are you saying on step 12, the app is saying you can't use the name you want? If so, can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1797

Replies: 3