External hard drive connect to AC-1750?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-15 01:54:00 - last edited 2021-01-15 21:51:59

Greetings. I am looking into possibly getting a wireless hard drive to back up all my home and work PCs. I was wondering if maybe an external HD plugged into the USB port on an AC-1750 might serve the same purpose.

If so, does anyone know of a software program that might automatically back up PC + Mac?

Many thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:External hard drive connect to AC-1750?-Solution
2021-01-15 21:48:29 - last edited 2021-01-18 21:16:42

@Pinpoint1 

The router would only be able to recognize file systems that are NTFS or FAT32. I found this article which shows how to set up a drive with three partitions (https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-share-external-hd-mac-windows/). One partition to share between both systems, and one partition for each system. Both operating systems would be able to see the contents if the drive was formatted to FAT32, but you won't be able to have files larger than 4GB.

If the hard drive can connect via Wi-Fi it may be best to split the drive into two partitions and have one for TimeMachine, and the other for Windows. For backup software for Windows, I would look for free backup software that is able to do incremental backups so only what is new is copied to make backing up faster.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:External hard drive connect to AC-1750?-Solution
2021-01-15 21:48:29 - last edited 2021-01-18 21:16:42

@Pinpoint1 

The router would only be able to recognize file systems that are NTFS or FAT32. I found this article which shows how to set up a drive with three partitions (https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-share-external-hd-mac-windows/). One partition to share between both systems, and one partition for each system. Both operating systems would be able to see the contents if the drive was formatted to FAT32, but you won't be able to have files larger than 4GB.

If the hard drive can connect via Wi-Fi it may be best to split the drive into two partitions and have one for TimeMachine, and the other for Windows. For backup software for Windows, I would look for free backup software that is able to do incremental backups so only what is new is copied to make backing up faster.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:External hard drive connect to AC-1750?
2021-01-15 21:52:25
Thanks @Tony!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 865

Replies: 2