ax50 - failed wireless settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-15 13:03:27 - last edited 2021-01-16 10:42:43
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 build 20200708 rel. 55037

I have recently upgraded my home network with an AX50 AP-router (cheapest on the market, so far), for the purpose of handling new wifi6 clients @ close to 1Gbps speeds offered by my ISP.

Capability wise, the device handles high-throughputs very well, even with NAT-forwarding and PPPoE overhead (on the WAN side). 

Ookla speedtests showed ~900Mbps on a wired laptop and ~650Mbps on a wifi6 smartphone. Even old wifi5 clients seem to achieve greater speeds than on my previous wifi5 AP-router. OFDMA and MU-MIMO also do their job well, managing to split the "air" fairly between all associated clients (13 in total, a mix of wifi4, 5 and 6, in both bands).

However, perfection never comes cheap, so here are the problems I have found, maybe someone can tell me if it's normal behavior or bug:

-wifi6 speeds in 2.4GHz are somehow limited to <10Mbps, while wifi4 clients (11n) are able to achieve <100Mbps; 

-if I try to set the 2.4 radio in b,g,n only mode, the setting isn't kept, but the radio keeps resetting in a loop;

-in the 5GHz band (channelization set to auto), I am not able to use another channel but 36; all the dfs channels seem to work for a little while after being set, but the AP always returns to channel 36 in the end (just like on radar detection, except there's no radar in my area - tested on multiple previous AP's); also, I get no logs regarding radar detection to sustain this.

-enabling/disabling OFDMA doesn't seem to change anything;

-enabling QoS prioritization on a single 5GHz wifi6 client will "split the air" equally for all 5GHz clients, dividing the available throughput rate to the total number of clients in that band.

I must specify that I didn't expect it to be something else for that price, but I wouldn't have gone so far in assuming it's cons :)

Options
7 Reply
Re:ax50 - failed wireless settings
2021-01-15 23:21:54

@darthy_sanchez 

What Wifi 6 clients do you have?

Have you tried setting a 5G channel that is not DFS?

When switching the 2.4G to b/g/n when the issue starts happening, does the LED light go out as well?

Since dealing with the issues have you tried uploading the latest firmware again?

Options
2021-01-16 00:02:30 - last edited 2021-01-16 10:45:09

@Tony

I have a single Samsung Galaxy S10!

The LED goes out as well.

There are no more 80MHz non DFS channels available! UNII-3 band not available in ETSi.

Haven't tried uploading the latest firmware again, only once, like you're allowed to...how could I upload it again from that web interface?

Options
2021-01-18 22:05:33

@darthy_sanchez 

Here is the firmware for your region: https://www.tp-link.com/ro/support/download/archer-ax50/#Firmware

Download the latest release, extract the file so you end up with a folder. You would then log into your router, go to Advanced > System Tools > Firmware Upgrade, from there you would upload the .bin file that exists in the folder you got from extracting the .zip firmware.

Options
2021-01-19 15:25:08

@Tony I already have this latest version! that's probably not the issue here :)

update: I've managed to find working dfs channel 128..no fallback yet after 1 week.

Is this device able to log dfs events? or any useful debug, for wi-fi at least? 

Options
2021-01-20 00:05:35

@darthy_sanchez 

There is the traffic monitor (Advanced > System Tools > Traffic Monitor). I don't see anything come up on my logs so I'm not sure if that will give anything you are looking for.

Options
2021-01-20 07:18:44

@Tony well, yeah...I mean, it's a very cold winter in Europe this year. What should I cook for the next week? Do you have any good recipes?

Options
2021-06-28 12:35:13

@darthy_sanchez 

I have similar problems. 5GHz is working

2.4GHz is generally less than 1mbps

tried all the above solves, they do not resolve the issue

can you work out a solution please

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 763