AX50 - only able to set parental controls through Phone Ap?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-19 16:36:06
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been struggling to find a router that has the level of parental control I need in this age of "virtual school".  One that allows me to schedule times when kids can and can't use certain aps / sits.  One that give me detailed reports of their activity.  And one that, ideally, allows me to apply "control" policies to multiple devices which are used by the same kid.

Now call me old fashioned, but I believe in old-school configuration screens.  Sure, they can be confusing, but usually that's a result of lack of clear documentation, sadly.  An app that builds a controlled workflow eliminates some of that confusion, but, of course there is a trade-off.  Namely, it's very easy for my kids to "sneak" onto my phone when I am at home.  With bluetooth proximity unlocking, all a kid has to do is put on their parents smart-watch, and, bam, phone is open.  Obviously I can use the ap password as a layer of security, but that is a nuisance, frankly.  Especially when I am unable to do ANYTHING from the aministrator screens using my PC.  Also, apps get depricated.  The first thing to go on a product is ap support. Next thing you know, your phone needs an upgrade just so you can continue to administer your router.  Garbage. 

Please rething the meaning of "advanced" when you have a "basic/advanced" administration paradigm. 

While I'm generally pleased with the level of controls available to limit kids use of the Internet (and categories that seem to have been given actual thought, unlike the willy-nilly categories in place with Asus (specifically, Asus have Youtube in both "social media" and "streaming", so if you block only "streaming", then the pages load but videos do not download. LOL, who thought up that comprimise. Because of the way videos cache, this leads to much confusion and frustration trying to block YT!)  Anyway, please put control of the router Parental Controls back in the administrative panel.

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX50 - only able to set parental controls through Phone Ap?
2021-01-19 22:00:17

@gde 

Thank you for your feedback.

With the newer revision of the parental controls, some users have mentioned preferring the older UI like the Archer C50 which was more granular rather than the new approach.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 441

Replies: 1