TP Link Archer A8 (AC1900) will not connect to my Fiber Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP Link Archer A8 (AC1900) will not connect to my Fiber Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
11 Reply
Re:TP Link Archer A8 (AC1900) will not connect to my Fiber Modem-Solution
2021-02-25 02:58:05 - last edited 2021-02-25 23:23:03

Update: After getting a replacement router from Amazon, I unboxed the new one, set it up as I had the first one, and got a green light on the router. Though this only lasted a second and I was back to the same problem with the first one.

As frustrating as this might sound, it proved to me that the problem wasn't the router at all, it was the connection to my ISP. After looking through many websites and trying to track down a manual for the fiber modem (I actually found one but it was in Portuguese!) I used a hack whereby I disconnected the power from the modem as well as the fiber cable, thinking perhaps that it was somehow keeping power to the modem. Left it off for an hour, hoping by then the modem would 'forget' the old router. Long story short (too late, I know) that didn't work either. As soon as I reconnected everything, no joy.

Last-ditch, I called the ISP this morning. Told them what was happening and they opened an IT ticket. I received a call from one of their techs about 30 minutes later and was informed that my old router's MAC address was the problem on their end. No matter what new equipment I connected to the modem, it was going to be rejected simply because the old MAC address was what was being looked for. I confirmed to him the old MAC address, gave him the new one, he cleared out the old, inputted the new, and what do you know, it all worked. Connected like a champ, I even updated the Firmware without bricking the router. It took a little while to get it all configured to my preferences, the wireless items connected fairly quickly and my repeaters are broadcasting the signal way better than they were with the old router.

My only lament is, I sent back a perfectly good router to Amazon. I would have kept it, but they would have charged me $100 for the spare, and I can use the old router now as an access point so I no longer need it. I suppose I can assuage my bruised ego knowing someone will get it in an electronics pallet and be pleased with having useable equipment. Live and learn. Thanks for all the responses and help. Beer is on me.

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles