Problems with an Archer AX 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-29 22:30:39 - last edited 2021-01-29 22:37:20
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20201116 Rel. 57075(5553)

First: online support chat failed.

Just set up an Archer AX 10 poor internet speed response.  Using it on a Windows 10 64 bit PC.

Hardware Version:

Archer AX1500 v1.20

Firmware Version:

1.1.1 Build 20201116 Rel. 57075(5553)  Latest firmware was installed.

Using a 5g wifi link. to Speednet, only 40 MB down loads.  Ethernet through Speednet shows 450 MB downloads.

PC is only  a few feet from the router.

Signal strength is strong . 

Wifi status in Windows 10 shows 866.7 Mpbs.

Qos is turned off.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Problems with an Archer AX 10
2021-01-29 22:45:06

@khlillard 

Are you using the same SSID name and Password as the prior router? If so, either delete the connection, or change the SSID of the bands, should fix it.

I'll also assume you've checked QoS setting for speed since Eithernet connection was fine.

Options
2021-01-29 22:51:10

@IrvSp 

I know far better than to use a previous wifi setup with a new router.

Everything was set up fresh with the Archer AX 10, but I still got the problems described in detail with the previous message.

Options
2021-01-30 02:53:04

@klillard 

To sum up this pathetic excuse for "support," I'm  typing this message after a fruitless one hour session on the phone with a TP-Link representative who insisted that I repeatedly answer questions that she apparently never  under stood, and ended with an unsolved problem and a broken computer. My faith in TP-Link's products and ability to deal with customers has been permanently damaged, along with my broken computer.

The trouble began with the January 29th purchase of an AX 1500 router at the Walmart in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin.  I tried to get the router to work with a Dell Latitude E 6420 notebook that was running Windows 10.  I tried two  USB wifi adapters with the AX 1500. No matter which adapter I tried, with a 5G wifi connection. I got no faster than a 40MB download and 40MB up load.

I had no trouble setting up the AX 1500 with either the Tether Android app or the 192.168.1.1 web link. No matter what I tried, I got the slow WIFI connections , while an Ethernet connection to the router resulted in a full speed 460MB download and 60MB upload. I should note that had used a refurbished Linksys EA7500 for a couple of years with no performance problems.

Eventually I found a TP=Link support phone number and called it, which turned out to be a major mistake which eventually led to my broken computer.

The "support" representative's hilarious incompetence was demonstrated from the beginning  of the call, when she repeatedly asked me when and where I had purchased the router. Over and over again, I responded, a few hours earlier, at the  Walmart in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. No matter how many times I repeated that basic information, the representative asked me to repeat it, as if nothing I was saying got through to her.

The pattern continued for an hour or so. She would ask me to check something. nothing got better, and then she asked me to repeat that, and nothing changed.  

In short, here's what I passed on:

Just set up an Archer AX 10 poor internet speed response.  Using it on a Windows 10 64 bit PC.

Hardware Version:Archer AX1500 v1.20
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20201116 Rel. 57075(5553)  Latest firmware was installed.

Using a 5g wifi link. to Speednet, only 40 MB down loads.  Ethernet through Speednet shows 450 MB downloads.

PC is only  a few feet from the router.

Signal strength is strong. 

Wifi status in Windows 10 shows 866.7 Mpbs.

Qas is turned off.

Over and over again I repeated that and nothing got through to her. Same questions over and over as if she didn't hear or understand anything that I was saying. She didn't even believe me when I told her the Archer AX 1500's hardware version was 1.20.

At her urging I got into the web site's router adjustments. I changed 5G wifi channel width and channel number. I switched 5G wifi and turned on only the 2.4G connection. Nothing made a difference. Still nothing to show the representative was responding to anything I was saying. It was like talking to a brick wall.  Since the TP-Link representative asked, I'll pass along that the cable modem I'm using is a Technicolor TC8715D that has given no previous trouble. That information was one of several items that had no effect on the representative.

Finally, the representative asked me to attach the Dell notebook PC directly to the cable modem. I did that and knocked the cable modem onto the Dell notebook screen breaking it.

After telling the representative about the damage that followed her request, she kept asking the same nonsensical repeated questions, as if she was paying no attention to me as had happened repeatedly during the previous hour.

Eventually I was promised a call from another TP-Link representative on Monday morning. Hopefully, I'll get to speak to someone who will listen to a customer and respond. Also, I'm hoping that someone can deal with the broken computer screen. Right now, I have serious doubts of what TP=Link can do.

Options
2021-01-30 10:49:29

@khlillard 

Wow, you went through a lot.

Did you actually call TP-LINK? Number is hard to find.

Was this the number you called?

Toll Free:
        1-866-225-8139

Service Time:
        24 hours a day, 7days a week

If you just searched the web, you might have lo found a 3rd party number.

If that was the number, I'd complain to

support.usa@tp-link.com

Options
2021-02-01 21:58:56

@khlillard 

Please post here if a rep does not reach out.

Options
2021-02-01 22:19:34

@Tony Was promised a return phone call on Monday. As of the time of this note no call has been received.

For your case, first I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you have experience while doing the troubleshooting. What I can do is to make sure that someone from our end will call you as per agreed day.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

We look forward to hearing back from you. If you have additional information or feedback to provide, please let us know.

Jayson De Mesa

TP-Link Technical Support

Options
2021-02-03 00:03:37

@klillard 

I requsted support to reach out to you asap.

Options
2021-02-03 00:27:48

@Tony  First off, I returned the AX1500 to the Wisconsin Dell Walmart where I purchased it for a refund.

Second, I finally got a return call from TP-Link around midnight Wisconsin time.  I missed that call and called back on the same number,and went through the same incompetent run around. When the "support" person asked me which model of TP-Link device I was calling for, I told her it was an AX1500. She responded that TP-Link did not have an AX 1500. Thinking there may have been some confusion, I mentioned another name the router may have been known by, which was AX 10 Again, she insisted there was no TP-Link AX 10.

Now if your support people do not know the company's product names, you have a serious problem. Note that the router is listed as both an AX 10 and AX1500 at the web link listed  From what I experienced, it's as if you're trying to drive customers away. No matter the "support" person sounded so relieved when I told her that I had returned the router, and she quickly closed the support incident.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax10/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 559

Replies: 8