Add a 3rd party AP to an existing X-60 setup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-04 00:11:35

Curious if it's possible to add a 3rd party device to an existing X-60 system? I have a Deco X-60 setup- main router with two Deco units backhaul wired- three Deco units in total. I have a fourth point in the house where I could add another (wired) node. Could I take a Google WiFi device which had been setup in bridge mode to accomplish? Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Add a 3rd party AP to an existing X-60 setup?
2021-02-05 00:38:18

@HH22 

That should work, you would treat that Ethernet cable as if it was coming from any typical wireless router.

Options
2021-02-05 00:59:12
Thanks for the input. Would the Google WiFi device show up in the Deco App as an AP within the Deco system? Trying to figure out how it would work as a third node vs. buying another Deco X-60 unit (which would, obviously, be recognized by the Deco mesh system and show up in the Deco App).
Options
2021-02-05 23:48:07

@HH22 

It would show up among one of the connected devices similar to your smartphone or TV, but you will not be able to manage it as if it was another Deco unit.

Options
2021-02-06 22:46:34

@HH22 - In particular, the 3rd-party AP device may not work seamlessly for mobile clients to roam between the various access points ... that is, it wouldn't necessarily be a part of the "WiFi-6" mesh.  While in theory if different vendor's WiFi-6 devices all meet the standards of 802.11ax they should be able to inter-operate, I've not yet read any reviews where someone has actually field-tested inter-vendor compatibility.

(I'd welcome any links to such test results...)

I did see this web-page: https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-certified-6-delivers-new-wi-fi-era

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 723

Replies: 4