Deco - Add Device fails

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco - Add Device fails

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco - Add Device fails
Deco - Add Device fails
2021-02-04 22:12:38
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200921 Rel 42500

I just added a second HS300 Power strip to my network. It configured with the Kasa app and works correctly. In the Deco app it shows up as 6 new devices. When I try to set them up it sees the names of each plug and asks for the location. After setting all 6 plugs I click the Done button and get an error message: Failed to save your settings. Please re-enter your information. The Done button gives the same error over and over again. Eventually I have to back out of the screens and give up.

I would like to get it configured so it appears in the Deco list.

Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco - Add Device fails
2021-02-05 21:50:47

@Don.M 

Go into the app settings of the Deco and Kasa, and make sure the location permission is enabled.

Another thing to try, power down the HS300 so the plugs appear offline, now try and edit the names/location. Once that is done power the HS300 to see if the names remain.

Options
2021-02-05 22:39:51

The location permission was / is turned on for both apps. I enabled 'storage' permission for the Deco app, but it still won't save the information. The same error message shows up.

I don't know quite what you mean about editing the names in the app - the Deco app doesn't show the HS300 at all (another one is shown, but not this new one). The Kasa app has the names and locations correct, it is only the Deco app that won't accept them. They show up as 6 new devices when I say I want to add (a) device, and then I go through each of the six outlets and assign the location and correct the names where a shorter name is using the rest of the previous longer name. When all 6 have been done, I click Done and get the error.

When the power strip is unplugged, it doesn't see any new devices to be added or modified and the correct names that Kasa shows are not shown.

I did also recently (this week) add three more Kasa wall switches. When the HS300 is plugged in, the Deco app sees all of them to be added but fails. By unplugging the HS300 I was able to add the HS200's and HS220. Then re-plugging in the HS300 it still fails to add.

Options
2021-02-11 21:29:38

@Don.M 

Which mode is the Deco running in? Router or AP Mode?

Please provide a picture of your device list showing what you describe when the Deco sees the plug along with a screenshot of the error.

Options
2021-02-11 22:13:47

The Deco is in Router mode.

I had tried to capture the screen showing the error message but it goes away when I open the notification panel to get to the screen capture button. It also goes away on its own after a couple of seconds. Oh, I did manage to capture it (on one of the repeats, which I left without updating the location).

Here are a few of the screens (not all of them).

Oops. I'm limited to one file attachment. I'll do multiple posts.

File:
Deco sees 6 devices.jpgDownload
Options
2021-02-11 22:19:07
File:
Deco scan.jpgDownload
Options
2021-02-11 22:19:30
File:
Deco error saving.jpgDownload
Options
2021-02-11 22:21:34
File:
Deco error message.jpgDownload
Options
2021-02-11 22:28:45

@Don.M 

One last photo. @Tony , you asked for a device list. The HS300 only shows correctly in the Kasa app, but the only place the Deco app shows it is the in the screens I've posted above.

File:
Kasa HS300 plugs.jpgDownload
Options
2021-03-04 22:49:20

@Don.M 

If possible, please DM me the following information:

-HS300 hardware version, MAC address, your TP-Link ID

-Also, try and add the HS300 again, if you get the error again tap on the top three lines icon, go to Help > Contact US > Suggestions > Check Add System Logs > Submit.

Options
2021-03-05 04:02:52

I DM'd and did the Contact Us log submission, too. Hope there is some nugget in the log that let's you solve the issue.

Don Miller

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1499

Replies: 17

Related Articles