Determining whether to use Router or Access Point mode on M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-12 20:01:46
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I understand (I think) what the difference is between router mode and access point mode on my M4 network, but I'm not sure WHY I would pick one over the other. I like all the features that come with Router Mode, but I feel like, given my set up, Access Point Mode is recommended, but I don't know why (as in, what benefit AP mode provides over router in this situation).

My setup looks like this:

Any explanation as to what benefit Access Point Mode would provide over Router Mode for my M4 network would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Determining whether to use Router or Access Point mode on M4
2021-02-12 23:37:45

@PatrickEmmick 

Here is an article that talks about the differences:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2399/

Based on your setup access point mode would work for the reason that in that mode you can wire both units to the main router. If you did router mode only one unit would connect to the router, and all others would need to connect through the main unit, be it via Wi-Fi or using a switch.

However, regardless of what mode is chosen, you will have your mesh network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 595

Replies: 1