Archer AC2300: All of a sudden, getting 1/5 speeds.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-14 19:49:14
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

Hello there,

I bought the Archer AC2300 A10 back in October and havent had any issues with it (in fact Ive barely had to reboot ir) until the other day. 

I felt like the internet was running a bit slow so I did a speed test and discovered that I was regularly clocking around 100mpbs down/10 up (I pay for 500 down/50 up.) I'm used to getting WiFi speeds of close to what I pay for.

After power-cycling both my router and modem (Arris SURFboard SB8200), there were no changes.  I called my ISP (WOW!) and they told me that everything on their end checked out and there were no outages and should be no drop in speed. 

When plugged directly into the router I see speeds of somewhere around 150 mbps down. When I run a Speedtest via the Tether app in the router, it is detecting speeds of somewhere around 350 mbps down. When I run connect via Cat6 directly to the same wall-port that the router is connected to (effective connecting directly to the the modem which is located in the basement) I achieve speeds of >500mbps down/30 up.

Ive tried factory resetting the Archer to no avail. Ive fiddled with some of the settings in the router but haven't seen a change, better or worse. Its been two days since I noticed the issue and nothings changed.

Is something wrong with the actual unit or is it just me?

Thank you for any help

-Alex

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AC2300: All of a sudden, getting 1/5 speeds.
2021-02-14 22:14:38

@AlexColumbus 

Really hard to tell what is going on here...

Let's see what sort of makes sense and maybe you can supply some answer.

AlexColumbus wrote

Hello there,

I bought the Archer AC2300 A10 back in October and havent had any issues with it (in fact Ive barely had to reboot ir) until the other day. 

I felt like the internet was running a bit slow so I did a speed test and discovered that I was regularly clocking around 100mpbs down/10 up (I pay for 500 down/50 up.) I'm used to getting WiFi speeds of close to what I pay for.

Did this happen just then, i.e., it was working fine yesterday, or did probably happen some time ago?

One data point missing, what device and how connected are you using, but from other info provided it sounds like a mix of wired and wireless device.

AlexColumbus wrote

When plugged directly into the router I see speeds of somewhere around 150 mbps down.

What device is this and did it get better speeds before?

AlexColumbus wrote

When I run a Speedtest via the Tether app in the router, it is detecting speeds of somewhere around 350 mbps down. When I run connect via Cat6 directly to the same wall-port that the router is connected to (effective connecting directly to the the modem which is located in the basement) I achieve speeds of >500mbps down/30 up.

Not sure what is the 'Tether app' in the router is? I looked at the Emulator (https://emulator.tp-link.com/a10-v2-us/index.html) and I didn't even see a Speed test?

I'm wondering is QoS is set to a lower speed?

By the way, when you change devices connected to the Modem, you should have both devices off, then turn on the modem first, let it fully come up, and then power up the device. Modems have a tendency to remember the MAC address of the last device connected to it. Powering the modem off resets that memory.

I'll also assume the Internet Negotiated Speed on the ADVANCED - SYSTEM TOOLS - SYSTEM PARAMETERS is set to AUTO?

AlexColumbus wrote

Ive tried factory resetting the Archer to no avail. Ive fiddled with some of the settings in the router but haven't seen a change, better or worse. Its been two days since I noticed the issue and nothings changed.

So did you do the proper power cycle of both unit?

What 'did you change' by the way.

One LAST TEST, on the ADVANCED - NETWORK page, have you put the PC's that you tested with MAC Address as the Router MAC Address and tested the speed? If it matches what you got with the cabled PC to the wall, then surely the modem is looking for that MAC Address.

Options
2021-02-14 22:58:19

@IrvSp 

Thank for responding promptly. 

I'll tell you the issue seemed to resolve itself. But I will answer your questions and maybe it will be helpful in the future.

Let me try and answer your questions in order:

• The slow speeds did 'just happen' seemingly out of nowhere. Was working fine one day, the next it was much slower. 

• At this point, I've connected multiple devices to both the router and the modem in an effort to determine where the 'weak link' is. I have a desktop PC (with both an Intel WiFi card and Gb ethernet port if thats helpful), as well as a laptop. Additionally I've attempted speedtests from both mine and my girlfriends phones. 

• The speed difference seemed to be experienced (with some degree of minor variation) across all devices. For instance, when the laptop or desktop were hard-lined into the router they experienced much slower speeds than when plugged into the modem directly. I'm used to seeing speeds of around 500mpbs Down, and am now consistently seeing speeds of between 100-300mbps Down.

• Attached is an image "screen 1.png" which should indicate that Speedtesting isan option inside of Tether. Perhaps its just not in the emulator? Thank you for the tip about powering down devices while switching to connect to the Modem. I will rememeber that.

• The Internet Negotiated Speed was/is set to AUTO

• I dont fully understand the LAST TEST that you're recommending. Would you mind giving me a step-by-step on how to perform it?

Thanks very much again and hope we can get to the bottom of this

-Alex

• When I say 'power-cycling', I mean that I unplugged the Router or Modem for 15 seconds (removing any network cables plugged into the back first) and then plugged back in allowing to fully boot back up. When I say 'reset' I mean i Factory Reset the router.

• The only thing I changed was turning off the 'Device Priority' (although I had it set so that my desktop received highest priority and it was still getting low speeds.) I also turned the power output to Medium from High.

•  
File:
screen 1.pngDownload
Options
2021-02-14 23:40:25

AlexColumbus wrote

@IrvSp 

Thank for responding promptly. 

I'll tell you the issue seemed to resolve itself. But I will answer your questions and maybe it will be helpful in the future.

@AlexColumbus 

Don't know why it was resolved? Sounds like some sort of temporary situation between your modem and router? Possible rebooting the devices cured the connection?

You didn't specify the A10 versions, so I used the 2.0 Emulator. Maybe you have the 1.0, or the web page for the emulator doesn't match the f/w you have installed? No big deal.

Glad it is working for you.

AlexColumbus wrote

I dont fully understand the LAST TEST that you're recommending. Would you mind giving me a step-by-step on how to perform it?

That will replace the MAC Address of your router with the one of your PC you tested with and got good speed. If that worked, then it was surely your modem looking for the PC to connect to. Like I said, modems remember the last device's MAC Address it was connected too. If a new one connects, it might not feed it full speed.

The Emulator didn't show me anything in the way of Options for QoS, so I couldn't tell what it should be. In any case, if you have over 200Mbps D/L speed, generally speaking, QoS will be of no help, unless you are loaded down with many devices doing a lot of heavy usage of the Internet? Like Streaming, Game play that is on-line, d/l'ing large files, etc. Normal usuaga, like e-mail, browsing, etc., would not impact the speed and require QoS. I've got 400Mbps down and leave it 'standard'. Even when I had 100Mbps down I didn't use it. Streaming, like NetFlix only requires 10Mbps down by the way.

Options