L2TP VPN Passthrough Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-03 15:59:44
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20210125

I am having issues accessing an L2TP/IPSec VPN for my work through my Archer A7 (V5) router. The problem appears to be between windows computers and my router both via wifi and ethernet. I am able to access the VPN on mac devices through my Archer A7 and I am able to access the VPN on my Windows devices when I am on other internet connections (hotels, hotspots...). I am also able to access the VPN if I bypass the router by hardwiring straight into my modem. All of the ALG passthroughs are enabled on my router but I am unable to ping the server through my router.

The windows error I get is "The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established because the remote server is not responding. This could be because one of the network devices (e.g. firewalls, NAT, routers, etc) between your computer and the remote server is not configured to allow VPN connections. Please contact your administrator or your service provider to determine which device may be causing the problem."  This appears to be Windows error 809. I have tried about all of the common fixes I can find on the web.

Any suggestions?

Options
3 Reply
Re:L2TP VPN Passthrough Issue
2021-03-05 00:21:43

@Gelliott 

Use the IP of one of your computers as the DMZ so the firewall on the router does not filter any traffic. Then test the VPN connection to see if that works. Disable the DMZ after testing.

The router should have the VPN pass-through enabled but you can check by going to Advanced > NAT Forwarding > ALG. Enable the services you need, reboot the modem then test again.

Options
2021-03-05 14:16:27

@Tony 

I set my PC's IP as the DMZ and was still unable to access the VPN. I did confirm that all of the ALG services were enabled.

Options
2021-03-10 21:40:11

@Gelliott 

Here is an article I found describing an issue on Windows 10 computers behind a NAT (Warning, third party site that does contain ads): http://woshub.com/l2tp-ipsec-vpn-server-behind/

It may offer some other potential solutions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2274

Replies: 3

Related Articles