no internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

no internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
no internet
no internet
2021-03-06 01:55:06
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Replacing an old Belkin N+ wireless router with an AC1750 (Archer A7) wireless router.  Been through 3 sessions with tech chat today with dismal results.  The last one said I could not use the router in my situation.  Here are the points in this discussion.

1.  Currently plugged directly into CenturyTel internet , No modem is involved here.  this is the configuration I am using at the moment.  Tech can't seem to comprehend that.

2.  My current router is a 13 year old garden variety wireless router I am replacing for speed and better security.

3.  Plug the new router and it gives me an amber light on the internet indicator.

4.  If I plug the new router into one of the ports of the old router it works just fine.

What is going wrong here?

Do some varieties of routers require a modem while others do not?

Options
1 Reply
Re:no internet
2021-03-08 22:03:52

@Woodworks 

What is likely happening is whatever is managing the internet connection is bound to the MAC address of the original router.

In previous cases users say in a dormitory would need to inform the IT staff of their new router and provide the MAC address of the router so it can be registered on their security systems to recognize the new device and provide the internet connection.

The amber light on the TP-Link router is the router saying it "sees" a connection, but there is no internet.

Log in to the router and look at the status page, now if your internet IP is 0.0.0.0, then reach out to the ISP, or should there be an "IT Department" where you live and inform them you connected a new router and it is not being recognized.

If you do get a public IP address, say 24.43.56.46 (completely made it up), then the next thing to do would be to configure a DNS server. Go to Advanced > Network > Internet > Select Advanced > Select "Use the following..."

For the DNS servers put:

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

Hit Save, and then see if the amber light changes to green.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 342

Replies: 1

Related Articles