Segmenting Networks vs Smart Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-08 11:30:43 - last edited 2021-03-08 11:33:18
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20190411 rel.52981

Currently I have Smart Connect enabled. So when devices connect to my Wi-Fi, the router automatically assigns them to the "best" band for better connectivity. I've noticed though that some devices that are capable of connecting to the 5G band (802.11ac) being assigned to the 2.4G band instead.

So I've been considering disabling smart connect and creating 3 separate SSIDs and manually connecting devices to each one. For example, IoT devices to the 2.4G; smartphones & smart TVs to the 5.1G; and computers to the 5.2G. Main reason for wanting to do this is for security that way less secured devices like IoT for example can't communicate to other devices.

At least this is my goal to keep them separate. Sort of like VLANs on enterprise networking switches. Would this work as I'm wanting it to? Will they be in fact kept segmented and not be able to communicate with each other? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Segmenting Networks vs Smart Connect
2021-03-08 15:37:55

@techie_19 

Well, Smart Connect is operating it seems as it should.

Check this link out, https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/smart-connect/https://www.tp-link.com/us/solution/smart-connect/

In it, at the bottom is this:

==================

How does Smart Connect know which band is best for each device?

Smart Connect relies on an advanced algorithm that not only automatically determines which band is best for each device,but also constantly monitors the overall status of each device to determine if and when a particular device would benefit from being automatically reassigned to a different band.

==================

I highlighted the last sentence. 'reassigned' is the key here. That is called different names but 'load leveling' or 'load balancing' is what it is. Keeping the 'usage' on each band equal, which usually means the number of devices. Worse (to me) is that it can in doing so, slow down performance for some devices. Putting a fast device on a slow band, or a slow device on a fast band which can cause performance issues for the fast band.

As for " Main reason for wanting to do this is for security that way less secured devices like IoT for example can't communicate to other devices. ", well, you can't isolate SSID's on the LAN from talking to each out. Yes, if you have both the Guest and Normal SSID's in use, you can do that between Guest devices and the normal LAN devices, but again, just because a device is on a LAN doesn't mean they can 'access' other devices. Most devices don't allow that or have no method to do it. For instance, if this were true, then a printer on the 2.4Ghz SSID wouldn't be able to print from a device on either 5Ghz SSID.

The 'Smart Connect' is for someone who either doesn't want to manage the SSID bands or doesn't know how to do it. From a true performance and knowledge of the LAN and its devices, you are always better off managing the LAN SSID's.

Options
Re:Segmenting Networks vs Smart Connect
2021-03-09 09:29:12

@IrvSp 

Thanks for the breakdown and great information.

I think I'm going to disable Smart Connect and just manage the assignment of devices to the specific band manually.

I will enable Guest SSID and assign the IoT devices to it in order to isolate them as this seems like my only current option in achieving what I need. At least until I can get a different LAN setup with a managed switch with actual VLANs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 2

Related Articles