Spectrum compatibility issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-14 13:56:34
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Spectrum requires that I use their newest modem.  It only has one ethernet port which plugs into a separate Spectrum router.  That router has four additional ethernet ports, one of which connects to my Deco M4 and I use the other ports for various other wired connections.  I obviously do not need their router for wifi, but I do need the additional ethernet ports as both of my Deco ethernet ports are currently in use (one to connect to the Spectrum router, one to connect a second Deco with a wired connection).  Spectrum modem>Spectrum router>Deco M4

I tried replacing the Spectrum router with a TP-Link ethernet switch.  The port lights on the switch indicate that there is throughout, but there in no internet connectivity on my Deco (solid red light).  Spectrum modem>TP-Link switch>Deco M4

I would like to remove the Spectrum router if possible. I don't need it for wifi and also Spectrum said I could send it back and knock some $ off my monthly bill.  All it really is at this point is a pass through.  But I do need the additional ethernet ports.

Suggestions?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Spectrum compatibility issues
2021-03-14 18:12:48

@cginva Try connect the cable modem to your deco then connect the switch to your deco second port. Restart the modem and deco all together then power on the switch. 

Options
2021-03-15 14:54:35

@Fishing_Monster That did not work.

Options
2021-03-15 23:10:35

@cginva 

If you have the Deco connected to the modem, and already tried rebooting the modem then the modem may not be recognizing the Deco. Try powering down the modem again for about five minutes, the Deco should remain on the entire time, then boot up the modem. If that still does not work, contact spectrum and tell them the modem is not recognizing the new router (modem probably has the MAC bound to the spectrum router). They should be able to reset the MAC binding so it will then recognize the Deco.

Make sure before this is done, the Deco is running in Router Mode and not Access Point Mode. In the Deco app go to More > Operation Mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 6025

Replies: 3

Related Articles