IP/MAC binding "OR" address reservation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-16 20:04:20 - last edited 2021-03-16 20:09:44
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have searched several times this subject, i.e. "IP/MAC binding vs address reservation" and found the difference very well explained in several spots.

However, what I have not found, is regarding if I should choose one or the other, or is it possible to have both?

It is not clear to me if the "settings web page" of this router will let me have both.

I have tried to program both to grant access for my new cell phones when they are at home, but it just lets me have one or the other.

However, other devices seem to be programmed for both.

The problem is that I don't remember how I ended up with both binding and address reservation on those devices.

So, should it be

1- "IP/MAC binding" OR "address reservation"?

2- "IP/MAC binding" AND "address reservation"?

3- something else?

If it should be both, what is the procedure that will be accepted by the router?

Dan

Options
1 Reply
Re:IP/MAC binding "OR" address reservation
2021-03-16 22:16:05

@Madouesca 

IP/MAC makes an IP>MAC entry into the router cache, doesn't affect DHCP. Address reservation means the DHCP server will always provide a specific IP to the device when asked for an IP.

IP/MAC binding is more on the side of security to prevent ARP spoofing. However, if the router is mainly used on a home network using address reservation is probably the way to go.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1056

Replies: 1

Related Articles