Can I use Decos with existing router and WiFi to extend it with same SSID and while moving around?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I use Decos with existing router and WiFi to extend it with same SSID and while moving around?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-18 21:06:57 - last edited 2021-03-20 14:57:59
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just got 2 decos E4,

1. I was wondering if I can use the 2 decos to extend the existing WiFi network in the house under the same SSID instead of having for example "Network-Main" and "Network-Deco".

2. I know the decos can switch from one another depending on which one I'm closer to at the moment, but is it possible with existing routers provided by an ISP? If so is there a guide on how to set this up?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I use Decos with existing router and WiFi to extend it with same SSID and while moving around?-Solution
2021-03-19 21:28:31 - last edited 2021-03-20 14:57:59

@HalfGrape 

You can name them all the same, but the "mesh" will work only between the two Deco units. When you move from the Deco network to your ISP Wi-Fi, from that point it comes down to your wireless device on what network it will connect to.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I use Decos with existing router and WiFi to extend it with same SSID and while moving around?-Solution
2021-03-19 21:28:31 - last edited 2021-03-20 14:57:59

@HalfGrape 

You can name them all the same, but the "mesh" will work only between the two Deco units. When you move from the Deco network to your ISP Wi-Fi, from that point it comes down to your wireless device on what network it will connect to.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I use Decos with existing router and WiFi to extend it with same SSID and while moving around?
2021-03-20 14:58:33

@Tony I endded up disabling my router's wiif and leaving only the 2 decos active, getting full coverage anyway

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2103

Replies: 2