Ethernet switch problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ethernet switch problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Ethernet switch problem
Ethernet switch problem
2021-03-18 21:23:21
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Setup: Spectrum internet modem>TP-Link TL-SG105 ethernet switch>Deco M4.  Off of the switch I am wired to a Windows 10 pc.  Off of the Deco I am wired to a second Deco.  Everything works EXCEPT no internet connection on my pc.  It says unidentified network.

Old setup: Spectrum modem>Spectrum router>Deco.  Four ethernet ports on the Spectrum router, one wired to my pc.  That connection worked.

I have tried multiple times power cycling all devices in various orders.  It is not the physical connection on my pc, it works when wired into the Spectrum router.  I want to replace the Spectrum router for two reasons.  It will knock some $ off of my monthly bill since I am using the Deco for wifi, and I noticed that when I replaced the Spectrum router with the switch, the internet (Deco wifi) was much faster.  There are no available ethernet ports on the Spectrum modem to use.  I need the wired connection on my pc for stability.

Any feedback/suggestions are most welcome.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Ethernet switch problem
2021-03-19 21:30:54

@cginva 

Put the switch behind the Deco so:

modem > Deco > switch

The modem will only give internet to one device connected to it.

Options
2021-03-19 23:45:28

@Tony Right now the main Deco is wired to a second Deco.  If I put the switch behind the main Deco, will I be able to wire the second Deco to the main Deco via the switch?

Spectrum modem>main Deco>switch>second Deco.

Or will my only option to connect the second Deco to the main Deco be wirelessly?

Options
2021-03-23 22:30:37

@cginva 

Yes, you will be able to wire the second Deco node into the switch that is also connected to the main Deco. If you were to get a second satellite node, you will be able to wire to that switch too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 692

Replies: 3

Related Articles