New Deco M5 network set up...but lingering questions...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-26 01:33:27
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello Team!

I just installed my Deco M5...and had a few questions.  I should state that I have AT&T Fiber (1000mbps max), and have the main deco unit connected through the AT&T-provided Motorola BGW210.  I'm not sure if that's how I was supposed to do it, but I think so...?  Anyway...included that info just in case that's important to my questions:

1) When prompted to name my new network and create a password...I did...and that new network seems to be working.  However, so are my previous two networks (dual band...5ghz / 2.4ghz).  Should that be the case?  I now have 3 networks?  Wouldn't that dilute the strength of the new mesh network as well as one or both of the other two?

2) Is my new Deco M5 network 5ghz or 2.4ghz?  

3) After doing before/after speed tests:

a) Core Deco (upstairs) - speeds about the same.

b) 2nd Deco (main floor) - speeds actually considerably lower.

c) 3rd Deco (basement) - speeds improved considerably.  

...that doesn't seem........possible.  I'd love anyone's thoughts on that.

Again, the setup via the Motorola unit felt odd to me - apparently it's a "gateway" though, and that's what the internet told me to do (i tried connecting directly from the box the fiber connected to in the house, but it never connected....when i did it this way, it worked, but with the above issues).  

Thank you folks...any input appreciated.

Bill 

Options
2 Reply
Re:New Deco M5 network set up...but lingering questions...
2021-03-31 18:23:15

@gazerker 

1. The Wi-Fi of your original router may interfere with the Deco so it would be recommended to disable the Wi-FI on the Motorola.

2. It is actually both under one network name.

3. Use the Deco app to see if the device you are testing is actually connected to the closest node or if it connected to the Deco further away. The Deco system will recommend the best node to connect to, but it will come down to the device itself to decide what to connect to. There is also a network optimization feature that should be in the app assuming the firmware is up to date. Run that function, verify the node you are connected to, then try the testing again.

Options
Re:New Deco M5 network set up...but lingering questions...
2021-03-31 18:35:10
Thank you, @Tony! Appreciate the response and the insights!
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 509

Replies: 2