WAN LAG on tp-link router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-26 13:41:00
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My ISP (Comcast) has just upgraded my connection to 1.4 Gbps.  I have a Motorola MB8600 modem that supports LAG(Link Aggregation Group, or Ethernet Port Bonding).  I would like to use the C5400X router so that I can use this extra bandwidth.

Has anyone had experience with this or a similar configuration?

I'm currently using a tp-link Archer A7 router and really like some of the features, so I would like to continue to use tp-link if possible.

Options
4 Reply
Re:WAN LAG on tp-link router
2021-03-26 18:10:50 - last edited 2021-03-26 18:17:34

@jas00 

Not sure what you are asking for?

Some routers can allow 2 LAN ports to go to one device, others will combine 2 WAN ports with the 2 coming from the same router, either to use one as the primary Internet input, and the other as a fallback internet connection if the first one fails.

I'm confused as the MB6800 has a single Internet Out port?

The CX5400 can combine 2 Internet signals coming in. As can my A20 and the help from it:

So I'm sort of confused where the 'extra bandwidth' is coming from?

Edit: Seems the MB6800 does have extra ports. If so, you need a router that will handle it.

Options
2021-03-26 20:04:58

@IrvSp 

The MB8600 has 4 ethernet ports that can be combined to get a maximum 3.8 Gbps downstream (only 2 ports are enabled with current firmware).  I'm asking if the tp-link router can support using 2 WAN ports with LAG to get downstream data rates above 1 Gbps.

The A20 supports LAG on LAN ports for high bandwidth to a device such as an NAS, but I don't think it can bond WAN ports.  The C5400X specs claim it can support LAG on both the LAN and WAN ports.

I'm wonder if anyone has experience with WAN LAG on the C5400X.  In particular, I want to take advantage of the extra bandwidth Comcast is now delivering (with over-provisioning the speed is 1.4 Gbps) by using 2  WAN ports from the modem to the router.

Hope this makes my post a little clearer.

Options
2021-03-26 20:41:33 - last edited 2021-03-26 20:41:55

jas00 wrote

@IrvSp 

The A20 supports LAG on LAN ports for high bandwidth to a device such as an NAS, but I don't think it can bond WAN ports.  The C5400X specs claim it can support LAG on both the LAN and WAN ports.

Hope this makes my post a little clearer.

@jas00 

Yes, clearer, and that is what I thought.

The A20 (and I beleive the AX90) do what you want too.

Read what I posed from the A20 help again.

Yes, the CX5400 does both. Didn't sound like you were interested in the 2 LAN port combo?

Options
2021-03-26 22:00:33

@IrvSp 

You're right that I'm currently interested in WAN LAG only.  My current NAS only supports a single LAN port.

Thanks for the info on the A20 and AX90.  I'll look at both of these to see what best fits my configuration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1396

Replies: 4

Related Articles