Does a access point need to be hardwired (Ethernet) to main router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-28 13:20:06
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Does a access point ( old router) need to be hardwired ( Ethernet cable) to my main Modem/Router? When there is talk of wirelessly connecting this, I don't understand. Wouldn't that be a lower WiFi output than wired?  I get really confused at some of the technical  jargon on router/range extender/access point/ bridge , help sites. I just want to extend the WiFi range in my ranch house. After all the research, I think an access point, in the middle of my house ( Since my Modem/Router is on one far side of my house), is the way to get a better connection to my Ruko on the far side. I can run cat 5 or 6 cable 120 feet if this is the better way to increase WiFi range. I don't do any online gaming. Just have a surveillance camera ( that would be plugged into the access point router) I tune into from my phone, now and then. I don't want to get into bridging if I don't have to. Just simple streaming is my main objective. Please, just a simple answer for us dummies! Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Does a access point need to be hardwired (Ethernet) to main router?
2021-04-07 21:06:40

@RickaSetter 

For the V6 of the router, you should have a range extender mode. Here is a video that shows how to configure it: link

Options
Re:Does a access point need to be hardwired (Ethernet) to main router?
2021-04-10 12:23:47

@Tony Is there a reason why I shouldn't use this as a access point? Because it is a V6 ? Would I get better reception in range extender mode by hard wiring it to main router, using Ethernet cable? I already have a Re220 extender, that I feel I should replace with this WR940N, because of lack of boosting WiFi on the other side of my house. Am I just spinning my wheels by using the WR940N to extend my WiFi range?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1938

Replies: 2