Connecting Deco to an existing ATT modem/router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-29 19:20:23

I am looking to add a mesh to my existing home network. I have ATT as the ISP and they provide a combination modem/router. Is there a concept of a primary mesh host? And will that plug into (using the Ethernet cable) my AT&T provided router/modem combo? Or do I need to replace the existing router? And if it does plug into the existing router, will the mesh SSID be the same as the existing router?

I am looking to provide a level of indirection for my home network with the SSID such that I don't need to change all the connecting home devices when/if I ever change the ISP. Almost unbeknownst to me we have accumulated ~14 devices connected to the home WIFI and it is a royal pain to go about changing all of them when the ISP changes. I believe having a mesh will provide this (in addition to the blanket WIFI within the house).

Thanks much for your help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting Deco to an existing ATT modem/router
2021-03-30 17:26:47
Yes, You can disable the ISP WiFi, connect your Primary Deco node to the ISP's Router and connect everything to the Deco WiFi.
Options
2021-03-31 20:24:00

@DAServices - Thank you very much, this modem/router is a single unit. And when you say, "disable" the router, are you suggesting using the modem/router admin console?

Would it work if I were to leave the ATT router enabled but give the Mesh the same SSID as the existing WIFI? Thanks again

Options
2021-04-01 15:32:37

@nrgs 

Best practices suggest that you disable the WiFI on the ISPs modem.  If not then using the Deco in Router mode as well as the AT&T router, could lead to double NATing and that will cause you a myriad of headaches. 

Take a look at the attached PDF. I have documented my steps for the ARRIS BWG210-700.

File:
Configuring Arris PassThrough.pdfDownload
Options
2021-04-01 18:19:17

@DAServices - I will read thru the doc. Thank you very much

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4050

Replies: 4