Deco, Modern hardware with decades old management tools

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-19 14:42:01
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2

I like the mesh router and setup was pretty straightforward. Nice replacement for my existing router with WAPs. But the rest of this system is like stone age technology. This is really not acceptable in the day and age where everything is online. Even cheap routers have basic functionality that Deco is missing.

1. Cannot change the IP address on the router. This is just crazy that in 2021 I cannot permanently change my IP address of my network to anything other than 192.168.68.*. I haven't used a standard IP address on my network in well over a decade. How can this possibly not be implemented? Who would ever run their network in the default class range? It prevents me from setting up separate isolated networks for testing or security. I cannot add Deco to an already existing network that happens to be using this IP range. This doesn't make any sense. Perhaps the worst part of this is that it actually lets you change the IP in the UI but it resets to default when the router is rebooted, from what others have posted. Why would you allow changing the IP in the UI if it isn't permanent?

2. No Windows app. Not everybody has an android/apple device. Even those that do may not want to use that device for configuration of the router. The documentation even recommends using wired when making certain network changes so you don't lose wifi and wired isn't common on android/apple devices. As of Mar 2021 Windows accounts for 75.56% of the OS market in the world (cannot post link because of security - gs.statcounter.com). How can you not support a Windows app? I have an android tablet on the fritz. I keep it around because it is the only way for me to manage my network right now. This is just sad.

3. Web UI is mostly useless. There is a web app (which is how every other router I've ever worked with managed their stuff) but it is read only data except for updating the firmware and a few other settings. Everything in the mobile apps should be supported in the browser. Seriously most tablet apps are just hosting the browser version of the app anyway. Building out a fully featured web app would resolve the Windows problem as well. If nothing else then provide the programmatic API that somebody with some web skill can use to build their own management UI (with security in mind).

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco, Modern hardware with decades old management tools
2021-04-20 18:15:40

@CoolDadTx 

Thank you for your feedback.

Please note that if you are going to change the LAN IP the WAN DNS can not be in the same IP subnet of the LAN or else it will change when rebooted.

So if your LAN is 10.0.0.x, do not set your WAN DNS to be 10.0.0.10, make it something different such as the ISPs DNS or Googles.

Options
Re:Deco, Modern hardware with decades old management tools
2021-04-20 18:24:37

@Tony yes I have the DNS set to use Googles already. But from everything I've read, and my own limited testing, changing the LAN from 192.168.68.1 to anything else only works until the router is rebooted. Then it automatically resets back to the 192.168.68.1 so changing it at this point doesn't make sense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 321

Replies: 2