AX50 Losing connection with hard drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-26 00:59:46
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I'm not sure what's going on. I keep losing connection with my network share drive that's connected via USB 3.0. I have to log into the router interface and hit the scan button on the hard drive and then the network sure works again. Any ideas on what might be going on? I thought maybe the hard drive is going into power saving mode or something. I'm perplexed. Thank you

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX50 Losing connection with hard drive
2021-04-26 11:52:47

@Kamakzie 

Hmm, I've been in contact with @Tony about the same thing, basically?

In my case, I notice it when Explorer no longer can see what is connected to the Network. I then run in a CMD prompt (I am on Win10 Home 20H2 version and this has been going on for some time) for NET VIEW. Get and error, "net view System error 53 has occurred.  The network path was not found."

Everything I've tried doesn't fix it but one of 2 things. Reboot the router, or disconnect and reconnect the USB drive.

Interestingly, I can PING the router and using NET VIEW \\sharename I can see ALL devices and the router that has shares. Also a DNLA client can still see/play media.

This is a 'come and go' situation for me. Will works for weeks and then all of a sudden fail almost daily?

I believe the problem is really in the router's Master Browser function. I do have SMB 1 enabled as well.

I do see a specific router based error in the 1 PC's Event Viewer, a NETBT error, "The name "WORKGROUP      :1d" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.0.124. The computer with the IP address 192.168.0.1 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer." I suspect the Router is the cause.

Also on my PC, NBTSTAT fails to find my network name:

However running it on the Router (NetBios name, TP-SHARE) it can tell my PC is the Master Browser:

======

C:\>nbtstat -a tp-share

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.107] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    TP-SHARE       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    TP-SHARE       <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    TP-SHARE       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1B>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Bluetooth Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

C:\>

=======

Yet when I run the cmd on my PC I ge this:

=======

C:\>nbtstat -a irv8700

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.107] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Bluetooth Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

========

Same results on the other PC which IS off. Somehow, the Master Browser isn't in sync it seems. Eventually this leads to a sharing problem I believe.

Yet right now, NET VIEW is working fine:

============

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

=============

However, at some point in time, I'll get an error 53 when I run NET VIEW or try to look at the network in Explorer.

I'll assume you have the same problems?

I have contacted Support as well and have an open case, but not progress has been made. I do not know how to CREATE the error or what causes it either. I've tested NET VIEW whenever I use the USB drive, either to write or read files on it. Never seems to happen at that point in time.

I do NOT think it is the USB drive going to sleep. I don't think the router FileSystem supports that. I have a 4TB WD USB 3.0 drive and I've used it in both ports and it happens. I've taken it to my PC ran CHKDSK, no problems. On my PC I ran the WD Drive Utilities to turn OFF Sleep on the drive, no help.

Doubt it is Windows, too many UPDATES have been installed and it still happens.

Options
2021-04-26 14:13:42

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/249694?replyId=556094@Kamakzie,

I just noticed you mentioned A20 but the post showed AX50?

If it is for an A20, you can see my initial post and more dubug I did here,

May hold for the AX50, but I have no way of telling?

Options
2021-04-26 18:31:10

@IrvSp Sorry for the confusion but in the drop-down box they didn't have the option for the AX50 so I had to pick the AX20.. With my router I can go and get the scan button on the hard drive and then the hard I will reappear. It's really weird.

Options
2021-04-26 18:41:27

@Kamakzie 

Sounds different then, I never LOSE the hard drive, just LAN access from the PC's in Windows Explorer, although I can access them by IP Address, just not NetBIOS names.

However, even doing the remove and plug the drive back in for me brings back NetBIOS access.

More than likely the same code (sub-routine) is basically in all f/w though, so it might be related?

Options