Deco X20 makes my 1G internet slow as 100Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-27 00:23:55
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

I have a two-storey, 3 bedroom home, with a pretty standard layout - every floor consists of three main rooms.

The main floor has three rooms in the following order: bedroom 1, living room, kitchen

The second floor has three rooms in the following order: bedroom 2, hallway, bedroom 3

I have a 1G Fibre internet connection that is pretty solid and fares 1.1G when I connect directly to Ethernet. Good stuff.

The router was installed on the Living Room, which is pretty much the center of the house. I get reception in every room, but the speed in Bedroom 3 is really bad.

I acquired two Deco X20 with the purpose of increasing the speed in Bedroom 3, since I work there.

The main pod is located next to the router, in the living room, sitting on top of a coffee table. Everything downstairs has speedy wifi connection and I'm happy about it.

Now, let's talk about the secondary pod and the second floor.

Attempt No. 1:  First, I tried setting it up on a tall bookcase next to my desk. I tried a couple of different spots on that shelf, but my wi-fi speed got *worse*, MUCH WORSE. I'm talking 100Mbps tops.

It looks like the connection between the main deco and the secondary deco isn't very good, so what keeps happening is that all Bedroom 3 devices end up getting bounced back to the main deco.

Attempt No. 2:  I moved it to the Hallway, right on top to where the main one is located.

Now, the Bedroom 3 devices connect to it. The speed still doesn't get any better than 180Mbps. Average is 150Mbps.

Attempt No. 3: Turnin off the secondary deco.

Now, this is interesting. Without the secondary deco, all the devices go to the main one. My devices get solid 500Mbps which is pretty alright. But this doesn't make any sense!

I also tried:

- Disabling 2.4GHz - no effect

- Disabling UPNP - no effect

- Optimizing the channels - no effect

- Disconnecting all other devices on the network - no effect

- Walking around the house like a crazy person with a wi-fi signal analyzer app, only to find out the best reception is in the kitchen and my bathtub. Unfortunately I cannot move my home office there. Maybe I can expense a jacuzzi for this sole purpose?

I'm very disappointed. Next, I'll try moving the secondary pod to the kitchen, maybe that will work (since it will be sitting right under Bedroom 3)?

Overall, this has not worked the way I wanted and I feel like I will just end up buying a giant concrete drill and properly cabling my house like in the good ol'days.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 402

Replies: 0

Related Articles