Loss of intra-LAN connectivity with AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-28 04:15:22
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(5553)

After upgrading from Archer C7 (AC1750) to Archer AX50 (AX3000), I am no longer able to access shared files and folders across my home-office LAN.  I have three PCs on the LAN (with multiple mobile devices also on the LAN) with shared files and folders. The only change made to the network was the router. Inter-LAN connectivity worked perfectly with the C7 router.  

Updating firmware to latest version made no difference. Disabling (temporarily) Norton AV and firewall made no difference. 

This is the error message that I see now:

Please advise if you have seen this and have a solution.

Thanks,

Lee

Options
3 Reply
Re:Loss of intra-LAN connectivity with AX50
2021-04-28 14:36:53

@Lee57GP 

Lee57GP wrote

Please advise if you have seen this and have a solution.

Thanks,

Lee

Well, I have seen this... and on an Archer A20.

I assume you are W10 also, and I'm a 'command line' oldtimer, and use that.

Can you open a CMD prompt and enter 'NET VIEW' (no ', just the text) and press enter. I suspect you'll get an error, #53 to be exact.

I get this occasionally. I'm suspect it has to do with the router's NET BIOS handling and more specifically the Master Browser (which MS has broken in the past).

Lee57GP wrote

After upgrading from Archer C7 (AC1750) to Archer AX50 (AX3000), I am no longer able to access shared files and folders across my home-office LAN.  I have three PCs on the LAN (with multiple mobile devices also on the LAN) with shared files and folders. The only change made to the network was the router. Inter-LAN connectivity worked perfectly with the C7 router.  

Updating firmware to latest version made no difference. Disabling (temporarily) Norton AV and firewall made no difference. 

This is the error message that I see now:

Wondering is there was a change in the router IP Address but the clients on the last somehow saved the old IP Addresses?

One thing to try. Even with the 53 error I can use NET VIEW \\(IP Address of the device here) and I can see it or even use NET USE (drive letter) to attach it to my PC for transfers.

When I have the 53 error, I can't open NETWORK on Windows Explorer either.

OK, how do I fix it you ask.

Well, rebooting the router always fixes it for me. Also, I have a USB drive attached, and that may play into the situation. I can do a REMOVE and SCAN to reconnect the USB drive (without removing the USB cable) and that will usually fix it if the reboot didn't.

I have this error occasionaly, that is it works fine for some period of time, days or even weeks and it then fails. Sometime every day even. I've reported this to Support, no answers.

Here is a thread from earlier this year I started over this, https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/249694?replyId=556094

I also discovered my PC which SHOULD be the Master Browser as it was turned on first when ALL PC's were off, which made the Router the Master Browser. If I do a NBTSTAT on the router I get this:

===============

C:\>nbtstat -a tp-share

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.107] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    TP-SHARE       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    TP-SHARE       <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    TP-SHARE       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1B>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Bluetooth Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

C:\>

==============

192.168.0.107 is my PC, IRV8700 and running the cmd against my PC:

=============

C:\>nbtstat -a irv8700

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Host not found.

=============

Same problem using -A IP Address on the CMD

=============

C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.107

Ethernet:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.107] Scope Id

Host not found.

Host not found.

============

Can't find any info on my PC? Could be a W10 problem (I too run Norton, the 360 version)? Wife's PC does work with the CMD but her PC is NOT the Master Browser.

=================

C:\>nbtstat -A 192.168.0.124

Ethernet:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    LARAINE-XPS8500<20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    LARAINE-XPS8500<00>  UNIQUE      Registered

MAC Address = 24-05-0F-F6-D3-44

Host not found.

============

It could be a "RED HERRING" that NBTSTAT doesn't work on the Master Browser though?

There is a program, NETBSCANNER by NIRSOFT (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/netbios_scanner.html) that doesn't find anything either on BOTH PC's, not sure why? It surely has to do with NetBIOS capability and even the Master Browser it seems.

========================

Description

NetBScanner is a network scanner tool that scans all computers in the IP addresses range you choose, using NetBIOS protocol. For every computer located by this NetBIOS scanner, the following information is displayed: IP Address, Computer Name, Workgroup or Domain, MAC Address, and the company that manufactured the network adapter (determined according to the MAC address). NetBScanner also shows whether a computer is a Master Browser.

======================

Although old, it does state it works on W10? Can't find any other reports of this, and even ran it as Administrator with the same results... something is wrong with how NetBIOS is working on a WORKGROUP it seems, and that could cause your problem too...

Options
2021-04-29 01:27:38

@IrvSp Thanks for the detailed reply.  What I observe is similar to what you observe when your router becomes ill. 

Summary of my observations:

• I have never had intra-LAN connectivity with the new AX50 router; re-booting does not fix the issue.
  • Net view command without option(s) returns the originating computer only
  • System error 53 is the result for every net view inquiry, including when the router IP address is used
  • The router responds to a ping, but no other device on the network responds to ping

Options
2021-04-29 12:09:35

@Lee57GP 

That sounds like you don't appear to have all the device on the SAME LAN? That would be the NETWORK NAME?

All devices to access each other have to be on the same 'Workgroup' (I assume you are on Windows). If so, here is the method to check and change if necessary the workgroup name, https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000941.htm.

Another way to check is to see the IP Address of all devices. On your PC, in the CMD windows enter IPCONFIG /ALL.

This line is your IP Address:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3884:49b6:9fea:62f5%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :      192.168.0.107(Preferred)

The Router address should have the first 3 octets the same in the address, like this:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::52d4:f7ff:fe68:3cc4%9

I have 2 as I've got IPv6 enabled, but it is the IPv4 address that you should be interested in.

All devices should have the SAME Gateway IP Address.

I'll also assume since this worked before, SMB 1 is enabled on all devices. One PC doesn't have it enabled can cause problems on Windows.

If they do, I'd contact Support.

Options