Unable to Write to Drive Connected to Router via USB

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-28 13:18:55
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I have a AC4000 MU-MIMO Tri Band Router that has two USB hard drives connected to it.  I'm running Mac OS 10.15.4 (Catalina).  I mounted the drives on my mac via the smb address and I can see them in my Finder window.  I can see the files and I can open them and I can move them from the drives to my desktop.  However, I can't move anything to the drives from my desktop.  I have the read and write option checked in the router settings.  Am I missing something to be able to write to these drives?

Thanks,

_Chris_

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to Write to Drive Connected to Router via USB
2021-04-28 16:38:28

@_Chris_ 

Might be the file system of the USB drive (NTFS?). If you want to read and write on both Windows and Mac the USB drive may need to be formatted as FAT32.

Here is a chart that was taken from howtogeek.com on what is supported. Our routers should work with FAT32, exFat, NTFS or HFS+:

File System Windows XP Windows 7/8/10 macOS (10.6.4 and earlier) macOS (10.6.5 and later) Ubuntu Linux Playstation 4 Xbox 360/One
NTFS  Yes Yes Read Only Read Only Yes No No/Yes
FAT32 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes/Yes
exFAT Yes Yes No Yes Yes (with ExFAT packages) Yes (with MBR, not GUID) No/Yes
HFS+ No (read-only with Boot Camp) Yes Yes Yes No Yes
APFS No No No Yes (macOS 10.13 or greater) No No No
EXT 2, 3, 4 No Yes (with third-party software) No No Yes No Yes
Options
Re:Unable to Write to Drive Connected to Router via USB
2021-04-28 17:20:52

@Tony Thank you for the response!  I have one drive as HFS+ and the onther is APFS.  It looks like they should be writeable based on the chart. This is a separate issue, but I tried to use a third drive (swapping one out for the two I have) and use it for Time Machine, but I showed up as having only a few MBs of space but it was a 1 TB drive with nothing on it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 668

Replies: 2