Cameras on Guest, NAS on Main

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-28 19:25:37 - last edited 2021-04-28 19:37:28
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 20210126

Cameras segregated and blocked from Internet on Guest network.  NAS on main network (ethernet).

This worked great until recently (iOS 14.5 update?).  ICSEE app no longer connects to cameras unless cameras stay connected to Internet.  That ain't gonna ever happen, for security reasons.

I have Synology Surveillance Station (and licenses).  I want to go back to using that and ditch ICSEE, but I do not want my NAS directly connected to the Guest network.  M9 Plus handles everything (all LAN routing).  How to get the cameras on the Guest network to communicate with the NAS on the main network?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cameras on Guest, NAS on Main
2021-04-30 22:16:05

@Pat_Smith 

The previous ICSEE version looks to be 6.5.3 if you can grab that .apk maybe see if the function can return on how it used to work?

You mentioned earlier about having your cameras on the guest network and having no internet access. Would placing the cameras on the main network, then adding them to parental controls and the internet access "paused" work?

I'm not sure if you can just configure an IP and subnet, leave the gateway and DNS blank where that would be enough for the NAS system to tap into assuming it taps into the RTSP stream of the camera.

Options
2021-05-01 05:45:42

@Tony thank you for the feedback.

For security reasons, the cameras can never be on the same subnet as the main network.  All Chinese made cameras are a hacker's playground when connected to the internet.

As it happens, there was an update to my Bitdefender VPN iOS software that caused my iPhone to stop communicating with the cameras.  I now have to turn off the VPN beforehand.  Then, everything works fine.

Still, I may want to revert back to the Synology NAS in the future.  I would still need to be able to route communications between the cameras on the guest network to ONLY my NAS on the main network.  Currently, the cameras are recording to only the onboard memory card (it's a residential low crime area - all the cameras are mostly for me to look around from anywhere).  The NAS has tons of storage which I would prefer to put to use.

Possible to include the described capabilities in a future update?

Options
2021-05-01 06:02:20 - last edited 2021-05-01 06:04:36

@Tony FYI, I thought about changing the gateway on the cameras to the IP address of my NAS, but there is no option on the camera software to do that.  I am also not sure it would work anyway given the different subnet of the NAS...?

I know I can get to any device on either subnet via the Deco app, so the functionality is in there already.  Just need to expose it to us muggles?  :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 657

Replies: 3

Related Articles