Question on M9+

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Question on M9+

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Question on M9+
Question on M9+
2021-05-01 16:49:26

Thinking of getting M9+ for my grandparents and have some questions.

The most important one to me is regarding security. I looked at the box at the store & seems like you set it up via app.

1. Does it need an TP-LINK online account to set it up?
    • If so can it be turned off after the configuration is setup?
    • Does it also have a web interface for configuration without the need to us 
  2. Specs showed WPA2 ... was there a firmware(?) update to WPA3?

My grandparent's need are light so not concerned about max theoretical speed. Security is as I read so much about how the capability to access these devices from the Internet can become attack vectors for the black hat hackers.

M9+, especially with the current sale at Costco, seems like a great value for a tri-band.

Thank you for your inputs!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Question on M9+
2021-05-05 21:10:43

@be_safe 

Does it need a TP-LINK online account to set it up?

Yes, you need to create a TP-Link ID then set up the Deco using the Deco app o

If so can it be turned off after the configuration is set up?

The account needs to remain bound to the Deco system. You can uninstall the Deco app if everything is set up or you can keep it on your smartphone and manage it remotely

Does it also have a web interface for configuration without the need for us?

There is a web interface, but it is mostly for read-only information. Any configuration as far as the network name or wireless password would be done through the app.

Specs showed WPA2 ... was there a firmware(?) update to WPA3?

Here are our current WPA3 Deco units: https://www.tp-link.com/us/wpa3/product-list/

The M9 does not have WPA3.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 1

Related Articles