How to use Archer A9 (AC1900) as a wired repeater?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-12 07:38:32
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

I have an existing router Archer A6, which I used to use at my old home which was pretty sufficient for that home. We moved to a new home and I ordered a new Archer A9 without checking if its OneMesh compatible (I assumed since this is a bigger model compared to A6, this would have all those features by default). I wan to use both the routers with the same network. The incoming connection to my home is at the hall, where TV, firestick are present and I want the second router to be present in my work room where I have my laptop and work setup. On the box of A9 it is mentioned that it can be used as Access point mode. I have a couple of questions here,

1) Can I use both the routers to publish same SSID and our mobile devices can switch between the routers based on signal strength?
2) Which router should I be using in the TV room and the other one in Work room? (My internet connection comes to the TV room only, I have installed a RJ45 cable from my TV room to Work room. I'm confused because the one in TV room will act as a hub but I want better speeds in work room.)

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to use Archer A9 (AC1900) as a wired repeater?
2021-05-18 22:18:13

@srikomm 

1. Yes, you can have both use the same network name, but determining which router to connect to will fall on your actual device, not the TP-Link routers.

2. If you want the fastest speed I think it will come down to testing both routers in both locations and determining from there. If the internet starts where the TV is, that should be the "router", and your workroom would be the "access point". Since you have wired connections running you should have solid speed where ever you are.

If you notice that your signal strength is low even if you are near the TV router or near the workroom router, then your device may still be connected to the node that is furthest away. Disable and enable your Wi-Fi which should get it to connect to the closest.

Options
Re:How to use Archer A9 (AC1900) as a wired repeater?
2021-05-19 03:54:46
Thanks, will let you know if I have trouble setting this up.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1734

Replies: 2