QOS killing bandwidth

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

QOS killing bandwidth

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
QOS killing bandwidth
QOS killing bandwidth
2021-05-22 18:47:07
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

I have 1.2GB service from xfinity. It actual speed tests to 1.4GB. The A20 tests at 600-700MB speed. All devices are set to High Priority and QOS set at Custom, HIGH. Rebooted several times. Did a power off bounce as well. No change. My "gaming" kids are screaming that the Internet is lagging! Never happened with my 3150 N router which did not have QOS. How does this awful service get shut off?! The Live Chat is not Live but a dumb bot. Plus I can't register the router because it doesn't recognize the S/N. More bogus service. So far these experiences all suck. I wasted $150 and I feel scammed! I want a router that works! Will likely shout about it on Twitter. It was a mistake to leave Linksys/Cisco. Plus the article I read that rated this a Top 5 router must have been a paid advertisement. So frustrated and disappointed.

Options
8 Reply
Re:QOS killing bandwidth
2021-05-22 21:56:52

@CD3 

I've got a V1 A20, and this is my QoS page:

Note the Bandwidth above, what does it show for your router? Use the icon on the right of the line to update it to what you have if it isn't.

Also, as I understand it, Standard is basically no QoS, equal rights for all devices and uses on the device.

Here is the HELP for that page:

You can select Device Priority also to give more to the gaming devices so they can have priority, might be better than QoS setting.

Options
2021-05-22 23:31:40

@IrvSp 

Thanks for the reply. I started there. The speed test always shows 50% less than tested without it. My son does a speed test on his gaming pc and gets the same as the router test. It used to show 990MB or more. The test to the modem is 1.3-1.4Gb. QOS has become a major frustration. I'm thinking about getting rid of this model, replacing it with my older Archer. Then, researching a Linksys if the new High Priority settings don't consistently satisfy the household. 

Options
2021-05-23 15:58:37

CD3 wrote

@IrvSp 

The speed test always shows 50% less than tested without it.

@CD3 

That could be a clue here.

If I read that correctly, if you test @ the modem to a PC directly, it is full speed that the ISP provides (you did say this but I want to be sure)? The Speed test you are talking about is in the router, correct?

CD3 wrote

@IrvSp 

It used to show 990MB or more. The test to the modem is 1.3-1.4Gb.

What was 'before'? I know you said "It was a mistake to leave Linksys/Cisco", and mentioned "Never happened with my 3150 N router which did not have QOS". I can't find any like that?

CD3 wrote

@IrvSp 

I'm thinking about getting rid of this model, replacing it with my older Archer.

Worth a try, what model is that? Also, what about the Linksys/Cisco, still have that?

When testing do NOT change cables. Possible the cable from modem to router is the problem here.

Options
2021-05-23 16:55:48

@IrvSp 

My previous Archer was the 3150, no QOS. PC speed test was near 1Gb bandwidth. With thr 4000, it's always half, whether from PC or within router itself. It bothers the heck at of me. For now,  QoS is at max everything and we're monitoring performance. 

Options
2021-05-23 18:32:23 - last edited 2021-05-23 18:33:42

CD3 wrote

@IrvSp 

My previous Archer was the 3150, no QOS.

@CD3 

Well, the 3150 DOES have QoS. You ever use Tether to access it? That is the only way to reach Home Care it seems. See https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1772/ and it applies to these router models, " Archer C2300( V1 V2 ) , Archer C5400( V2 ) , Archer C3150 V2 , Archer C4000( V2 V3 ) , Archer C3150( V2) , Archer A20( V3 ) , Archer C2700( V1 ) , Archer C5400X( V1 ) "

CD3 wrote

@IrvSp 

PC speed test was near 1Gb bandwidth. With thr 4000, it's always half, whether from PC or within router itself.

If the router test only shows 1/2 speed, don't expect any device to do better. I might be the cable coming into the router from the modem. Have you tried another one?

CD3 wrote

@IrvSp 

For now,  QoS is at max everything and we're monitoring performance. 

Don't use that, go back to STANDARD, no QoS that way, well, no extra boost to any app or device. Be sure to reboot the router after making the change.

EDIT:

Also check the WAN port, make sure no bent pins, could also slow you down.

Last resort, contact Support I guess?

Options
2021-05-23 18:43:07

@CD3 

Did you change Device Priority under QoS? It is KNOWN to cap speeds.

See this link, https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/dflf0z/tplink_archer_c3150_v2_device_priority_caps_speed/

Options
2021-06-26 23:36:35

@CD3  Leave QOS set to standard but manually up the bandwidth speeds. I have mine for both download and upload set to 1999, everything is fast.

Options
2021-06-27 00:18:16

@J-A-W 

Many thanks for the advice! I'll configure it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1365

Replies: 8

Related Articles