Is a tp-link plug in range extender the same as a slave Deco?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-15 06:12:32

I am wondering if a tp-link plug-in range extender RE3xx is the same as a slave Deco M4/X4 but without the possibility of ethernet backhaul.

Is the only difference perhaps that there is no possibility of further piggybacking on the extender to add a mesh component.

In other words if a mesh component (another deco say) is added in the range of the extender but out of range of the main Deco it will not work.

As a matter of policy, would it be correct to add Decos only when you know that you need piggybacking.

So for example in a long straight house use: RE - Deco(slave) - Deco(main) - Deco(slave) - RE

Will this work the same as: Deco(slave) - Deco(slave) - Deco(main) - Deco(slave) - Deco(slave)

Or are REs so versatile that is it actually even possible to piggy back a mesh network across REs?

Regards 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Is a tp-link plug in range extender the same as a slave Deco?
2021-06-20 13:16:46 - last edited 2021-06-20 13:18:02

@lahkar If you want something to use with a Deco network, get an M3W. It's essentially a dumb Deco without wired ports. The RE series (from reading) will "extend" your network by creating a new network with a unique SSID which probably isn't what you're looking for if you're running a mesh network.

I'm using a bunch of M9 and one M3W in a similar floorplan to you (long straight).

All of my M9 are wired to each other so I haven't tried using an M9 to connect as a slave wirelessly to the M3W, but from what I've read it "should" be possible. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 1

Related Articles