M9 Plus network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M9 Plus network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
M9 Plus network
M9 Plus network
2021-07-08 07:27:42
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hello everyone,

I would like to enjoy the throughput of my internet 800Mbps wirelessly around my house/garden with Deco M9 Plus (could be due to the walls; using CAT6 for wired) and would like to seek advice to upgrade or improve.

Can I use Ethernet backhaul to connect 2 x M9 Plus? 

The slave M9 Plus is blinking red every 30-60 seconds when connecting both, they are running on AP mode.

If I were to add X90, should I put them into the same wireless network to work together with M9 Plus or separate them?

My garden area has the worst speed compared to other spots at home.

Options
5 Reply
Re:M9 Plus network
2021-07-08 21:18:14 - last edited 2021-07-08 21:25:17

@Jianny 

"Can I use Ethernet backhaul to connect 2 x M9 Plus? 

The slave M9 Plus is blinking red every 30-60 seconds when connecting both, they are running on AP mode."

You should only have ONE Deco node in AP mode. Yes you can use Cat6 as a backhaul.

"If I were to add X90, should I put them into the same wireless network to work together with M9 Plus or separate them?

My garden area has the worst speed compared to other spots at home."

You should only have one DECO mesh.  All Deco nodes can function as satellites from one single Deco Master.

Based on your diagrams. The garden is always using a wireless backhaul, as such it will NEVER be as fast as either of the wired backhaul nodes.  If you are unable to run Ethernet to the Garden, then I suggest a TP-Link PowerLine 1000. This will place the wired ethernet over your electrical. It may be faster than Wi-Fi backhaul but no guarantees. 

Options
2021-07-08 21:24:08
Just a couple of quick questions. What is the AC5400 function in this configuration? What benefit do you think you would gain by creating multiple Deco Mesh Networks separating the M9+s and the X90s? Are you running separate and firewalled subnets, or one big shared network?
Options
2021-07-10 04:04:35

@DAServices 

Thanks for responding!

"Can I use Ethernet backhaul to connect 2 x M9 Plus? 

The slave M9 Plus is blinking red every 30-60 seconds when connecting both, they are running on AP mode."

You should only have ONE Deco node in AP mode. Yes you can use Cat6 as a backhaul.

- Could you explain more on ONE Deco node in AP mode? 

- Do you mean that Cat6 as a backhaul will only work when Deco is NOT running in AP mode?

"If I were to add X90, should I put them into the same wireless network to work together with M9 Plus or separate them?

My garden area has the worst speed compared to other spots at home."

You should only have one DECO mesh.  All Deco nodes can function as satellites from one single Deco Master. 

Noted on this, my problem is the distance of 3rd Deco unit after the first 2 Deco acting as master and slave is big so I thought I can wired the 3rd one as another wireless network.

Based on your diagrams. The garden is always using a wireless backhaul, as such it will NEVER be as fast as either of the wired backhaul nodes.  If you are unable to run Ethernet to the Garden, then I suggest a TP-Link PowerLine 1000. This will place the wired ethernet over your electrical. It may be faster than Wi-Fi backhaul but no guarantees. 

Noted and will look into TP-Link PowerLine 1000, the garden is important because that's where I usually work during pandemic days.

Just a couple of quick questions. What is the AC5400 function in this configuration? What benefit do you think you would gain by creating multiple Deco Mesh Networks separating the M9+s and the X90s? Are you running separate and firewalled subnets, or one big shared network?

- The AC5400 was there before I bought 3 x Deco M9 Plus

- Creating multiple Deco Mesh because I cannot find a sweet spot or center point at home to place the master so I thought I can use existing cables at home to create different master Deco serving nearest slave Decos

- I am not running separate and firewalled subnets nor any advanced configuration, just a normal home user who hope to enjoy full speed in every corner at home

Options
2021-07-11 20:58:41 - last edited 2021-07-11 21:01:44

In any environment there should be only ONE deco node that functions as the AP(Access Point). all other assorted Deco nodes will function as satellites to the primary Deco Node aka(AP). 

In your case there is no need for the AC5400 unless it is in "Bridge mode" and is functioning as an expensive switch. If you are planning on or are able to use Ethernet as back haul from the Primary, the best method is to connect the second Ethernet from the primary Deco node into an Ethernet "dumb" , 4port, 8port, 16port or 24port switch. Every Ethernet connected device or Deco satellite node will then connect to the switch, thereby connecting to the Primary Deco node. 

You may need to use Powerline(PLC) devices to inject the Ethernet signal on to your electrical circuit, to function as Ethernet connections to devices or Deco satellite nodes, because you do not or can not string Ethernet hard cables. If so then the first PLC device becomes the primary PLC device and is connected into the switch. 

PLC primarily will not function well across primary circuit paths, when connected inline with an outlet strip and abhor Surge protectors. 

Powerline(PLC) are a many to one configuration. One master and many satellite PLC nodes. The TP-Link AV600 run between 10Mbps and 50Mbps averaging 25Mbps. AV1000 average 150Mbps. AV2000 average 250Mbps. 

Bear in mind that your in home individual or aggregate bandwidth may test higher, but most devices will be accessing your ISP(Internet Service Provider) through the modem and that aggregate outbound bandwidth can not exceed the service for which you pay. So if you have 75Mbps DSL coming in to the modem, which is feeding your router and thus your internal network, it does not matter if your connection speed is less than 20Mbps or more than 200Mbps. If you connection is through the internet then that will be your bottleneck. Similarly if you are getting 225Mbps speed test on your device to another device on your network, that's great but the Internet ISP is still your overall outside bottleneck. So .... unless most of your network traffic is IN-HOUSE (feeding from a NAS or some such device, you will never need any connection above 25-50Mbps for full stream Hi-Def Video. 6-15Mbps for 720P video and even less for streaming music. 

If you are working remotely and are running from your company server and Live Streaming Video, then you will need a QOS setting for that device and connection to a Deco Node which can supply at least 15Mbps. Remember each and every IOT device in your home network will consume some amount of Internet ISP bandwidth. I have experiences clients with up to 50 connected devices (approx 30 were IOT devices, cameras, Alexa, Google, Thermostats, etc.) those homes will have a minimum resting ISP bandwidth consumption approaching 30Mbps. So be aware of what is consuming bandwidth in your network.

Options
2021-07-13 10:02:54

@DAServices 

In your case there is no need for the AC5400 unless it is in "Bridge mode" and is functioning as an expensive switch.

I might be wrong but AC5400 has a higher spec CPU as a router connected to my ISP modem but if you say otherwise, then I will just let it go as a used unit to another owner and replace it with the Deco M9 (or probably the X90 or another brand that offers greater QOS capabilities).

..other assorted Deco nodes will function as satellites to the primary Deco Node aka(AP). 

Wirelessly, can satellites talk to each other or do they only talk to the primary Deco node?

I am asking because I am not able to lay cable or find a spot to place the primary Deco node in the "middle" of all satellites. 

the best method is to connect the second Ethernet from the primary Deco node into an Ethernet "dumb" , 4port, 8port, 16port or 24port switch. Every Ethernet-connected device or Deco satellite node will then connect to the switch, thereby connecting to the Primary Deco node. 

Can I achieve this by having the ISP Modem -- AC5400 -- Deco M9 Primary -- Switch?

PLC primarily will not function well across primary circuit paths, when connected inline with an outlet strip and abhor Surge protectors. 

Do you mean PLC works best when connected directly to the wall outlets?

I only have AV1300 in my country and plan to order them as soon that I can confirm I cannot get my hands on the AC2000s. 

those homes will have a minimum resting ISP bandwidth consumption approaching 30Mbps. So be aware of what is consuming bandwidth in your network.

I am the same boat with your client and have quite a number of IoT devices at home but unfortunately, AC5400 software (and I assume Deco too) does not show much information about bandwidth consumption like the U-brand router I have in my office.

Options