Mesh product (or not) thoughts for a friends setup.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-05 15:34:38

Howdy all,

I often help a friend out with their wireless network and I’ve been pretty happy using TP-link products to do this for a while.  They are looking to make some changes and with mesh becoming more of a thing I wanted to see from the community/TP link if mesh would work for them and if my thinking/setup was best for them.

Their layout

They have a 70’s built ranch style home (brick) with a basement (approx 1900sqft(top).  A barn (wood) with power (covered and walled but not climate controlled or free from dirt) that is approx 70ft from the back of home, this is direct line of sight of where main router sits.  A garage (cement block, powered (looking at home located on right side)) that is approx 75ft from the home (a lot of time is spent here, not technically climate controlled (fans and wood burners) and not free from dirt).  Their farm is 17 acres, the acreage is mostly on the other side of the barn (there is power at another small building in the middle of the property (with telephone type pole)) *Direct line of sight from barn.  There is also a small “in-law” cabin (powered located near the smaller building).  *Note at the small building and in-law cabin the property does a diagonal right.  There is NOT line of sight from the home to far side of property (trees, lots and thick).  There IS line of sight from the small building and in-law cabin to remaining property.

They currently have

Netgear (modem/router) which they are looking to replace and two TP-Link 5GHz N300 Long Range Outdoor CPE for PtP and PtMP Transmission | Point to Point Wireless Bridge | 13dBi, 15km+ | Passive PoE Powered w/ Free PoE Injector | Pharos Control (CPE510) White.  One of these is on a pole (beside the barn) facing the home/garage and the other is on the other side of the pole facing “downrange” towards the small building and in-law cabin (both of these are set as repeaters).  The coverage is pretty great to the point of the smaller building.

Must haves

Internet around home, barn and garage.  Cell service is mostly non existent so calls over WiFi are important as is (of course) streaming of all types of media (watching YouTube video or video call if farm equipment breaks down).  Me to safely mange this remotely via the Tether app and or Pharos.

Would love to have

WiFi mostly throughout property mainly because of the cell coverage and being able to make/receive calls while out in the field as stated above but more range.

My thoughts

So I’m thinking I’d like to us something like the Deco X20 (WiFi 6) for their home/garage/barn.  I would like to integrate (if possible) the CPE510’s or another long range solution for the remaining property/small building/in-law cabin.  Finally, remotely supporting via Tether the X20’s and Pharos the CPE510’s (which I’ve not done to this point).  I would like only one app to manage but I think their needs may be too great.

Does the X20's sound like a good fit for the home/garage/barn (I know amount used and placement will vary)?

Is it possible to use a CPE510 to send the signal (long range) to another X20 or 360 device for the small building/in-law cabin or do I need to rely on the “cone” coverage from the CPE510 at that point?

Would the CPE510 actually degrade the network because they are not WiFi 6 meaning IF they were in the garage and were using the CPE510 for their signal vs the X20 (I don’t think this would be noticeable but worth asking) OR in home and for some reason see the CPE510 as stronger signal (maybe it doesn’t work that way but again worth asking).

What are your thoughts?  Would you suggest a different setup that could be managed by an enthusiast?

Thanks for any help and if you have questions to help me help them let me know.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 333

Replies: 0