IP address not assigned to Mac for ethernet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-22 21:11:03
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The Deco M5 is not assigning an IP address for an ethernet connection on my Mac.  I am able to get an IP addressed for WIFI connection but when I attempt to connect via ethernet I get the following message: "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet."  I have rebooted the modem as well as renewed the lease but still get the same results.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:IP address not assigned to Mac for ethernet connection
2021-08-22 22:44:48
Options
2021-08-22 22:54:27

@THop 

Tell us a bit more about the M5 and your LAN. Are the M5s in Router mode or AP? Which device in the network runs the DHCP server? Do you have other ethernet connected devices, and how are they connected (with a switch into the main Deco, or a switch into another Deco, or into the ISP modem/router)? Have you tried to manually set an IP address in your MAC, and what happened when you did that?

The WiFi lease won't have any connection to the ethernet port, because the lease is associated with the MAC address and the two ports (WiFi and ethernet) have separate MAC addresses.

Options
2021-08-25 22:39:35

@Don.M 

Don.m

Thank you for replying to my question and issue. My apology for the delay in responding. 
As it turns out the issue was created by operator error. I plugged the cat 5 cable from the modem into a switch and the plugged the M5 into the switch. Of course the system worked wirelessly but didn't work for a hardwire connection. When I noticed the error I simply plugged the modem cable into the m5 and the plugged a second cable from the m5 into the switch. Now it all works.

thanks again for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1108

Replies: 3