Setting up VPN behind Uverse AC1750 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-30 19:25:32 - last edited 2021-12-06 10:38:47
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Please excuse my ignorance, I am really new at all of this.

In a house that has Uverse with a TP-Link AC1750 router I'd like to set up a second router with a VPN behind the Uverse router.

My goal is to be able to connect a Tablo OTA DVR to a VPN router and thus be able to remotely pair devices (smart phones, fire sticks, etc.) to the Tablo without having to physically be at the same location as the Tablo. I.e. have the Tablo and the remote device be, or think they are, on the same LAN.

When I set up the Tablo initially I had to do port forwarding and set a static IP (on the AC1750) for the Tablo to be able to remotely connect to paired devices from outside the LAN. This took about 12 hours! About 2 hours to figure out what needed to be done, and the rest on forums discovering that the port forwarding rules would not shut down the router, despite what the warning messages said, and to get the static IP reservation to take effect you had to angrily click on the save button 5 or 6 times (I figured this out by accident on my own).

To pair a device for remote connection (physically away from the LAN) you simply open the Tablo app while using the LAN the Tablo is set up on. Then with that paired device you can remotely access and view the Tablo from anywhere in the world as long as you have good internet, or even good cellular. Problem is sometimes you lose that pairing and the only way to get it back is to physically return to where the Tablo is and re-pair the device in question. Hoping the VPN will solve this problem. The VPN would also presumably allow access to the Tablo DVR to change settings that aren't available if you're not on the same LAN.

Questions:

1. Can I tunnel thru the AC1750 router to the VPN router? If so how?

2. Will I be able to connect devices remotely (like a firestick) to the VPN so the Tablo and the device think they are on the same LAN? If so how?

3. Assuming the 1st two items are doable will the speed of the internet connections thru the 2 routers be fast enough to support streaming high quality video? (Right now it works great. The VPN router will be hardwired to the primary router.)

4. None of this will interfere with or slow the other devices, gaming, streaming, that are using the primary router?

5. And, if we're still in the realm of the possible what would be a good VPN router for a newbie to try and do this with? I like TP-Link but am open to suggestions.

I hope this is enough info to at least get this conversation started. I will of course provide additional data as requested if needed.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 345

Replies: 0