Firmware update frequency

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-11 17:14:52
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

I bought the C2300 in 2018 and just realized that there has never been a firmware update for V1 since I purchased it.  This is my first TP-link router, is the company poor with firmware updates or did I just buy an old model router?  I know firmware updates are important and Im now considering replacing the router with a different brand which updates firmware regularly.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Firmware update frequency
2021-09-11 19:33:21

@tmalek 

There were 3 updates for the V1 version, with the last on 0/3/2018 (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c2300/v1/#Firmware (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c2300/v1/#Firmware). Possible your unit has that installed (Archer C2300(US)_V1_180611)?

TP-Link seems slow to release new f/w compared to other vendor's I've used.

There normally would only be 3 reasons to update the f/w for a specific model and version:

1. Operational problem
  2. Security fix
  3. Add/Remove function/feature

You can look at this site, https://routersecurity.org/bugs.php, for router security problems.

You can also Google "Archer c2300  security vulnerabilities" to see if there are any known.

For instance, here, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1970/, you will see the C2300 listed, but it was fixed with F/W 2, which doesn't even match what TP-Link has? Some could also be on NON-US h/w with could have different builds.

My A20 has had all of 2 F/W releases, the initial one and the last one, well over a year ago.

Some vendor's that I've had for routers seem to release f/w quite often, and sometimes it is to fix something they broke in the last release...

Options
2021-09-11 21:23:09

@IrvSp Thanks, I did update to 20180611 firmware back in `18 but nothing released since.  Maybe the firmware is fine, or a good time to upgrade to a wifi6 router.

Options
2021-09-11 21:44:15

tmalek wrote

@IrvSp Thanks, I did update to 20180611 firmware back in `18 but nothing released since.  Maybe the firmware is fine, or a good time to upgrade to a wifi6 router.

@tmalek 

I hear you. Like I said, I've got an Archer A20 V1, and there was a single update from the INITIAL release, (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-a20/v1/#Firmware), and I have to say it sort of bothered me too. That one came out on 12/02/2019 and nothing since, over 20 months ago. Still, I've not seen any reports of Security issues with it either?

Like I said, I had other router's and the one I replaced was a similar model from a different vendor. Why did I replace it, that vendor didn't care about past customer's. One of the f/w updates that HAD security fixes removed some features, like the DLNA server I use to shoehorn in a Security Suite (like Home Care that is part of the A20) that they could charge for it. In addition, they released many f/w updates, some to fix bugs they injected in the prior f/w, and many declared 'security fixes' in them. Now were there really security problems that needed fixing or was that just a fake entry. Some companies will not report security flaws they fix, and specifically the 'name of the flaw' to alert crooks that there are routers out there they can attack.

As far as I know, I've not been attacked, and I do KNOW HomeCare is guarding us. My wife gets some email that go to 'suspect' sites it seems to get some JPG's, and they get blocked routinely. Look at this for example:

Yes, HomeCare does block things. Too bad there is no control though. However, on a Web Browser when you take links that are 'Spam' you do get a screen telling you so, not in email though.

Options
2021-09-11 22:18:11

@IrvSp Good point. - research a manufacturers quality of firmware updates in addition to quantity.  I see some good reviews about ASUS firmware and hardware.  I also have the Trend Micro turned on in the router and it is blocking some spam and adsense connections.  Yea, another attribute to look for - lifetime antivirus.  Ill report back what I end up doing.

Options
2021-09-11 22:41:44

@tmalek 

I suggest you review the WARRANTY too. Some are shorter than others and will have different terms. Some will have phone support even. Also check for Forums on-line. Many vendor's are not present on-line. While doing that, when you find one, see 'who' is there. Some are end-users ONLY, and not even supported by the vendor. Check the URL to see where hosted if unsure.

Lastly, look for complaints about support. Some you'll find quite a few I suspect. Also the frequency of forum activity. As well as how long each thread is.

Doing that helped me home in on 2 vendor's for a router.

Options
2021-09-12 04:26:12
Options