SSID naming? Want to use the same name as modem already has

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-04 16:00:11
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am in a connected community, we have a single SSID throughout the grounds including in our living space. Each person has their own pwd.

We cannot turn off the modem in the living space. So assuming SSID is "A", you are always connected to "A", whether in the lobby or your unit.

My unit has poor coverage from the modem, so I am getting a deco mesh units to place in the unit. Is there any downside to naming the SSID of the mesh network "A"?

Here is the issue. I go down to the lobby, my phone connects to A. I come back to the unit, it is connected to A. If I go to the balcony, where the signal from A from the modem is very weak but still connects, if the mesh is closer, will it pick up the A? If I name the mesh network B, when I come back to the unit from the lobby, my phone will still be connecting to A on a weak signal and not connecting to B.

Short of placing the modem in a faraday cage, I am not sure how to solve this.

Options
1 Reply
Re:SSID naming? Want to use the same name as modem already has
2021-11-04 21:24:09

@SJI 

You can name your Deco mesh anything you want, except one that already exists. 

If you can disconnect the antenna on the supplied AP, you should be able to cripple it by removing the antenna. 

Since you are contemplating adding your own Deco mesh, I assume that the supplied AP has ethernet ports.  Why can't someone log into yur AP and turn off the Wi-Fi? It is a fairly simple thing and can be done to just about any AP. 

Then when you come into your unit your phone will roam onto your Deco mesh. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 382

Replies: 1