Can't add/modify files usb drive. (ac1750)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-20 10:39:51
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Recently purchased an AC1750 router specifically for the purpose of the USB port in order to stream videos from my PC and watch them on my Roku tv. I completed the setup correctly, enabling access and permissions and enable media sharing.The drive appears on  my PC and i can access the drive from my pc but i can't add any video files or delete/edit any of the folders. The media server appears on the Roku tv . I've done nearly everything i could possibly think of from permissions to windows credentials to doing a fresh install of windows 10. I'm officially stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't add/modify files usb drive. (ac1750)
2021-11-22 01:14:32

@Bloo 

Uhh, are you SURE it is an Archer A10? From the Support pages, there is only a V1 and V2, no V5?

Looking at the spec's, there is NO USB port, nor on the description and picture on the back for a USB port (https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-a10/#overview) and the A10 is a AC2600.

So, post the correct router model.

Also what SETTINGS you have on the router?

My Archer A20 has a USB tab for instance, and there are a few settings you need to set correctly. Some routers will have a setting for PASSWORD for instance, the same as the Router GUI P/W. I have found MANY DLNA Clients can't handle that by the way, and it is best left unchecked if you have that option.

Since you are on Windows, use NET VIEW, like this:

==================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRVXPS8940
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

========================

Does it look like this?

Can you see the share on the router (mine is TP-SHARE):

--------------------------------------

C:\>net view \\tp-share
Shared resources at \\tp-share

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G           Disk

=========================

If you do a DIR on the SHARE, does it work?

=================================

C:\>dir \\tp-share\g
 Volume in drive \\tp-share\g is G
 Volume Serial Number is 77A2-373A

Directory of \\tp-share\g

03/16/2018  01:25 PM    <DIR>          $RECYCLE.BIN
09/13/2021  06:24 PM    <DIR>          .
11/21/2021  08:08 PM    <DIR>          ..
12/25/2017  11:10 AM    <DIR>          Acronis Backup
12/25/2019  03:19 PM    <DIR>          asusware
09/24/2019  06:40 PM    <DIR>          Pictures

=============================

If not, what errors are you getting?

Options
2021-11-22 12:25:10 - last edited 2021-11-22 12:56:18

My apologies. My router is an AC1750 Archer 7. I didn't see it in the dropdown at the time of writing. Password is disabled since I figured that would be an issue.

C:\Users\Munda>net view

Server Name Remark -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

\\DESKTOP-XH \\XH-SHARE samba server

Instead of using the media server feature I just switched it to a networked drive instead. Now my new issue is playing the video files. They state file format not supported when i launch them through the Roku Media Player app. But if i plug the drive directly into the back of the TV and launch them it plays no problem.

Options
2021-11-22 16:53:22

@Bloo 

Might want to look here, https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Roku-Media-Player-not-recognizing-my-hard-drive-connected-through-router/td-p/700918. Note there is another LINK in that page as well, that link has no specific data? That link I posted implies they looked at a a TP-Link page, so they might be using TP-Link as well?

It could even be a problem with Roku's DLNA client? I Googled "roku dlna client not working with files on a router" and I found some hit, but not all recent.

Also, might want to post here, https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/bd-p/wired-and-wireless

I did find this here, https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

========================

Playing content on your local area network

DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard technology that enables sharing of content between devices connected over a network. To play content stored on another device or computer on your Roku device using DLNA, the other device must be running DLNA server software and must be on the same network as your Roku device. Some routers and NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices have a built in DLNA server.

Roku Media Player has been tested to work with the following DLNA servers:

• Windows Media Player/Center
  • Serviio
  • Plex
  • Twonky
  • MiniDLNA/ReadyDLNA/ReadyMedia
  • PlayOn
  • Synology (DSM 6.2.1)

For information on setting up a DLNA server, consult the associated online support site.

========================

TP-Link (and other's) use a 'Samba Server', so it is possible it is NOT supported? I suspect it is though?

This could be a question for either Roku or TP-Link Support (which is not here)?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 387

Replies: 3