What is OneMesh?

What is OneMesh?

What is OneMesh?
What is OneMesh?
2021-12-14 21:40:46 - last edited 2023-02-17 01:00:44

What is OneMesh?

Unsure as to whether to replace your existing router, with a brand-new Mesh solution? TP-Link OneMesh resolves your dilemma. Just connect a OneMesh range extender or powerline extender to a OneMesh router, and enjoy the seamless Mesh Wi-Fi. *Please update the firmware of OneMesh devices to enjoy Mesh network.

• OneMesh is a feature on select TP-Link routers and extenders that enables you to create a mesh network. This helps to expand your existing network and make high-speed Wi-Fi accessible throughout your home by using existing compatible devices, as opposed to purchasing a new Mesh system.
  • For a complete list of TP-Link devices that support OneMesh, please visit https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/product-list/.

A few reasons to choose OneMesh

• Extend Wi-Fi coverage to dead spots in your home.
  • Seamless Wi-Fi connections with one name so you no longer need to switch between router and range extender networks.
  • Easy and centralized setup and management of devices.
    • Manage your whole-home Wi-Fi through central node (main router) via the Tether app or Web UI to easily adjust or customize wireless settings.
  • Affordable network choice compared to other mesh networks.
    • Add on to existing OneMesh compatible TP-Link devices.

How to set up OneMesh

• Make sure your existing TP-Link router supports OneMesh.
  • Connect one or more OneMesh compatible range extenders or powerline adapters to the router.
  • Enjoy your whole-home network.
  • Please note that you cannot create a OneMesh network between two routers.
  • For detailed instructions on how to set up: web browser, Tether app, and WPS button.

OneMesh offers an affordable solution that allows you to enjoy the convenience of a mesh network with existing devices.

Options
6 Reply
Re:What is OneMesh?
2022-06-22 14:23:57

@Carl Ok.....I understand the onemesh idea, but here's my question.  I'm not so worried about my mobile devices having constant connection without switching to other access points.  I have MANY cameras throughout my house exterior and interior.  They're not mobile...is onemesh ok for this type of need?  Or should I switch off the one mesh and have the modules/camera's connect directly to the closest extender/access point?  Thanks in advance.  I'm asking this because it seemed I was having better connection before enabling onemesh.  Can't point to that being the problem though. 

Options
2022-06-22 16:13:41

@chrisxpierce 

It's a mixed answer.  It could be more beneficial to use a traditional Range Extender and router setup.  However, if you do you would want the router more centrally located and the extenders (if more than one) placed in opposite directions.  This is because REs are half-duplex so you can potentially see 1/2 the speed to them than to the router.  If you were to daisy chain the extenders (if you have more than one) that phenomenon would be compounded.   I would also suggest setting the Extenders to their own SSID this way devices that are in static positions can be assigned to 1 specific AP.  This is where the mixed answer comes in.  If extenders have the same SSID there is a potential that the client will jump between APs especially if the signal from two separate APs is strong.  

We are always looking to improvements of our services so I and will suggest that we add assignments to our OneMesh service on a future update. 

Options
2022-06-22 16:27:15
Thank you SO MUCH for the very quick response. I'm going to switch back to traditional so suit my current needs for my cameras. I hope you have a great day, Carl! Chris
Options
2022-06-23 22:36:03

@chrisxpierce 

My Pleasure. Keep an eye on this section if we do make any enhancements to OneMesh they will be highlighted here. 

Options
2022-07-14 16:47:36

@Carl Got one more question but also an update:

Update: Since turning off the onemesh, my camera's are functioning great again.  So that solved that.  Here's my question.

I have the archer 4400 and 3 extenders.  Lets say I wanted to activate onemesh on the main router and only 1 of the extenders.  Would this interfere with the other two extenders that are providing internet to the my cameras?   I'm hoping to do this, so that my mobile devices utilize this onemesh feature, but not my camera's, in that the cams will stil only connected to either the main router (as some do) and the other two extenders to their currently connected cameras.  hopefully I made sense.  lol  Thanks in advance.  Hope you have an awesome day.

Options
2022-07-14 18:08:55

@chrisxpierce 

Hi Chris

I confirmed with my QA team.  Yes, it is possible.  While OneMesh is enabled on the extenders by default you can disable the feature individually and then the extenders would work like traditional range extenders.  However, the downside is that it breaks the seamless roam and could potentially cause inadvertent device hopping if the extenders not connected to OneMesh are on the same SSIDs.  If you were to do this I would suggest giving these extenders individual network SSIDs.  Also, you would not want to daisy chain these extenders, so the non-OneMesh extenders would want to be placed in opposite directions.  

Hope this helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2112

Replies: 6

Related Articles