Cameras on Guest, surveillance station on Main

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-27 22:02:52
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

For security reasons, I have all wifi cameras on the Guest network and block their internet access via a Parental Control rule.

I would like to use Synology Surveillance Station.  That nas is hardwired to the main Deco M9 Plus and visible to the main LAN/WiFi clients.  How to get the nas to see the cameras and vice-versa?  I want communication between the cameras and nas ip only (emphasis).  How to do?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Cameras on Guest, surveillance station on Main
2021-12-27 23:59:15 - last edited 2021-12-28 00:02:49

@Pat_Smith The guest network is purposely set up on a different vlan than the main network for security.This blocks guests from accessing your main network. Thus you cannot have the 2 systems on seperate lans on this router and have them talk.

Systems Support Technician: We do PRECISION Guess Work based on unreliable data provided by those of Questionable Knowledge
Options
Re:Cameras on Guest, surveillance station on Main
2021-12-28 01:43:50

@BigW3260 thank you for your feedback.

After posting, it occurred to me perhaps I can stand up a proxy server on Guest which can access the Internet, set the gateway value on the cameras (only) to the IP of the proxy server, that would get the cameras talking to the ISP router to which the main Deco M9 Plus is connected.

I am thinking I should be able to put a rule/route on that, or maybe another proxy server which would route traffic back to the main Deco M9.  On the Deco M9, I could set a port forwarding rule to route said traffic to the nas.

Yes, the design is the two networks do not talk, but it is simply a routing issue making it so.  That can be overcome.  

I am sure it can be done; and I will get it done.  Asking for help is oftentimes less painful than having to figure it out solo.  😃

I appreciate feedback from anyone with more routing expertise than me.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 484

Replies: 2

Related Articles