Media server has access to all folders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-03 20:14:48 - last edited 2022-01-04 01:27:32
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20211108 rel.61776(5553)

I just updated from a TP-Link A7 to the TP-Link AX55. I received an email about this router, and I figured I was due for an upgrade.

The issue I'm having now with the AX55 the media server/file access is, if I share a folder and it has any media in the folder than that media is automatically shared with the media server. I'm not sure why this was changed. I don't know about most people, but I have kids and don't want them accessing some of my Horror, or Rated R movies that I have in a SMB share. So now I either have to disable the media server, or not have access to my movie collection through SMB. Could this option be brought back so you can just exclude certain folders from the media server like in the A7?

In the A7 the media server/File access was great. You could share folders, and than either enable them for media server, or disable the folder from the media server. You could also create individual user accounts for file access with the A7. That's better than just sharing 2 generic accounts. I'm just not one for sharing passwords, because than it has to be simple enough for multiple people to remember. In the A7 I could give people their own accounts so they could remember their own passwords, and than give full or just read for the account. Simple passwords that are shared sucks, and that can lead to an unsecured network which is NEVER good. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 414

Replies: 0

Related Articles