External USB Drive will not connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 02:57:25
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just got my router.   PLugged in, set up, internet Access.   But does not recognize External HD.   When I open up Network center, there is no "TP-Link"    I've unplugged the HDl Ive unplugged the USB,   No joy yet

Options
11 Reply
Re:External USB Drive will not connect
2022-01-05 00:51:39

@FastFreddy 

A little more data might help here?

• What exactly did you do? That is how did you connect the USB drive to the router and what router settings did you use?
  • What OS are you running?
  • What is the USB drive make and model and what is the size and File System?
  • What are you using to 'see' the USB drive?
  • Do you get any error mesages?

This is the LINK to the AX11000 emulator for the USB drive page, https://emulator.tp-link.com/ax11000-v1-us/index.html#storageSharing

Are you set up the same way?

Lastly, did you have a prior router and was able to see the USB drive on it?

Options
2022-01-05 04:56:46

@IrvSp 

IrvSp wrote

@FastFreddy 

A little more data might help here?

• What exactly did you do? That is how did you connect the USB drive to the router and what router settings did you use?

So, basically, I plugged the router in, set it up and plugged my Drive in.    I did have  prior router I used from NetGear Nightwing router and the drive was recognized

• What OS are you running?  Windows 10 64 bit
  • What is the USB drive make and model and what is the size and File System? Segate 2TB
  • What are you using to 'see' the USB drive?  Explorer
  • Do you get any error mesages? No

I should note.....That when I open YPWifi.net, I can click on Advanced/ USB Storage and I can see the exteernal drive is recognized here......I am just unable to access it thorugh the explorer search on Network....(where you see all the drives)

This is the LINK to the AX11000 emulator for the USB drive page, https://emulator.tp-link.com/ax11000-v1-us/index.html#storageSharing

Are you set up the same way?

Lastly, did you have a prior router and was able to see the USB drive on it?  Yes.   NetGear Nightwing.....I was able to acces the drive....

Options
2022-01-05 15:59:39

@FastFreddy 

Netgear Nighthawks can the drive, so I'd assume the FIleSystem is good. However, there are many Seagate 2TB drives. Is it a Portable one or an External Powered one, that can make a different.

On that like I posted from the Emulator. What do you SEE on your Browser loging into the Router on the same page. Does the drive show there like in the link I provided? I assume that is what you meant by YPWifi.net.

Also, open a CMD prompt (Windows key+R at the same time) and enter CMD. Then enter NET VIEW  It should look something like this:

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\HP7855               Samba 3.0.37
\\IRVXPS8940           Irv's XPS8940
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

If you get an error, then you do not have SMB1 enabled as it is  required to see a share. However, I expect you do though?

Post your NET VIEW results if you can it you don't see the router.

Options
2022-01-06 00:28:39

@IrvSp 

Ive gotten a little further...

975fadcc634944bfa0d0016df87c0c0d

Options
2022-01-06 00:31:02

@FastFreddy 

But When I clincl on TP=Shre I get this.....Which does me no good

Options
2022-01-06 01:05:17

@FastFreddy 

And it shouldn't get you further, you clicked on the DLNA server.

Here is what I see with Windows Explorer:

23c63579b83c45148f8560abf629a6cb

You need to be able to see the Share, you do not see TP-Link as a 'computer' as the disk is not being reported. Usually this is an SMB 1 problem, why I asked for the NET VIEW results. Any device with a disk/USB slot capability will show as a 'computer' on the top of Windows Explorer. For instance, my HP Printer has a USB/Midia card slot I can read over the LAN... hence it shows as a computer.

We can check if it is enabled another way, Open a CMD prompt as an Administrator, then enter POWERSHELL. Next enter "Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName SMB1Protocol"

It should look like this:

================

C:\Windows\system32>powershell
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Install the latest PowerShell for new features and improvements! https://aka.ms/PSWindows

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName SMB1Protocol

FeatureName      : SMB1Protocol
DisplayName      : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
Description      : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer Browser protocol.
RestartRequired  : Possible
State            : Enabled
CustomProperties :
                   ServerComponent\Description : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer
                   Browser protocol.
                   ServerComponent\DisplayName : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
                   ServerComponent\Id : 487
                   ServerComponent\Type : Feature
                   ServerComponent\UniqueName : FS-SMB1
                   ServerComponent\Deploys\Update\Name : SMB1Protocol

=================

Options
2022-01-06 01:20:31
Options
2022-01-06 01:33:43

@FastFreddy 

Also

Options
2022-01-06 01:35:10
Options
2022-01-06 14:30:40

@FastFreddy 

If you look at the MiniDLNA Status you'll see an IP Address, that is NOT the Router IP Address. Mine is the same way, sees all items but NOT what is on the router. That it seems is how that works? Odd...

If you look at the PROPERTIES of it (RMB on it and select PROPERTIES) it seems it kicks off the Windows Media Connect compatible (MiniDLNA) possibly? Not sure?

5462ee996f414af0b49e4a7c27c48881

Also, on the RMB menu you can open the Media Player itself, on the list in it you'll see TP-Link, and I can see all the data on the USB drive. Suspect you can't?

So of my Pictures on the TP-Link USB attached drive:

fdbb349b7a204cc79a5511e968f2cbc9

Try this on your PC and see what it sees, if anything?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1209

Replies: 11

Related Articles