Access Control Wouldn't Apply on Edge

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-17 16:05:43 - last edited 2022-02-17 23:52:24
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n

Greetings!

I tried blocking certain websites on my kid's laptop through Access Control. For some strange reason, I've found out that the Access Control entry which I've made could only be applied using Firefox. When using MS Edge, I seems that the Access Control entry does not even exist. I've tried launching the 2 browsers side by side and noticed that all the sites listed are blocked on Firefox but not on Edge.

I've already tried updating Edge, clearing cache and browser history. Have also verified that there are no VPN or vpn extensions active for Edge. It is if as though Edge doesn't care if there's an Access Control entry or not. All sites specified are blocked on Firefox but Edge still has full access.

Would appreciate any help please. This is driving me nuts.

Thank you.

jc97d

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Access Control Wouldn't Apply on Edge-Solution
2022-02-17 20:53:55 - last edited 2022-02-17 23:54:47

@jc97d 

The purported "access control" is handled through the router DNS service.  This is easily circumvented by reconfiguring client devices and/or applications to simply use a different DNS provider.  In fact, it renders the access control completely ineffective for any networks where DNS is deliberately handled by a separate server instead of through the router or where DNS is deliberately configured to use a specific public DNS provider.

You should confirm if your Edge browser has an "alternate DNS provider" configured in its settings:

d4c477adac7d4fbf9b5ddab7229b43c2

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Access Control Wouldn't Apply on Edge-Solution
2022-02-17 20:53:55 - last edited 2022-02-17 23:54:47

@jc97d 

The purported "access control" is handled through the router DNS service.  This is easily circumvented by reconfiguring client devices and/or applications to simply use a different DNS provider.  In fact, it renders the access control completely ineffective for any networks where DNS is deliberately handled by a separate server instead of through the router or where DNS is deliberately configured to use a specific public DNS provider.

You should confirm if your Edge browser has an "alternate DNS provider" configured in its settings:

d4c477adac7d4fbf9b5ddab7229b43c2

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Access Control Wouldn't Apply on Edge
2022-02-17 23:54:11
Disabling this option certainly did the job! I went to the settings and saw that Edge was using 'Use current service provider'. I then turned off the feature and now Edge recognized the same blocked sites as Firefox. MikeS21, I could not thank you enough. Thanks again. Stay safe jc97d
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 268

Replies: 2