Question about router link speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-18 06:04:00
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: 3.14.4 Build 131129 Rel.39318n

I have a quick question, apologies if it seems simple but I'm quite new to this. The question is this: how can I increase the link speed of my router? I read online that this model of router can support 300mpbs, but currently when I check the link speed it says 72mbps. I'm on a wireless connection on the 2.4ghz band (I believe this router doesn't support 5ghz but correct me if I'm wrong) on 11bgn mixed and 20mhz channel width. Thanks in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Question about router link speed
2022-02-21 13:24:09

Hi @kevfish315   

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

The wireless link speed is affected by many factors, such as environmental interference, Hardware specifications of router and adapter, etc.

Here some suggestions that you may have a try:

1. Please change the 2.4G channel width to 40MHz.

2. Please try different channel to find the most uncrowded one, or you can download Wi-Fi analyzer application to help you find out the best channel.

3. Don't test link speed far away from router or across many obstacles. In that case, link speed definitely will be affected. 

BTW, what is the model and OS of the device that you use to check the link speed? 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Question about router link speed
2022-02-22 14:16:07

@kevfish315 

What are you connecting with? That is possibly the other reason that is determining the Connection Speed.

40 wide channel, even for an N Speed device is need, but also MUMO on some devices. If your device is old, canhandle 40 wide channel or even has one antennae, this could be the reason.

Security of the device could also cause a slowdown. Test with no security set to rule that out.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 256

Replies: 2

Related Articles