Deco and Verizon FIOS Internat

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-25 16:27:39
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

May someone with experience/knowledge hooking up the S4 system on a FIOS internet environment give me some guidence?

Please tell me if my undertsanding below is correct or not:

(1) The internet feed in my house come via a Ethernet cable coming from the ONT to the Verizon Quantum Gateway router.

(2) Is the Verizon Quantum Gateway router a router only, or is it a "modem+router"?

(3) I was told that the modem for the FIOS is inside the ONT box and that the Verizon Quantum Gateway is just a plain router, but not a modem-router combo.

(4) If (3) above is correct, does it mean that when I setup the S4, I should plug the Ethernet cable stright out from the ONT into one of the S4's Ethernet ports?

(5) If (4) above is correct, does it matter which Ethernet port on the S4 I should use to make that connection?

(6) During setup, should I select "Dynamic IP" when it asks for the internet connection type?

Thanks in dvance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco and Verizon FIOS Internat
2022-02-25 17:55:27

Rappaport_Art wrote

May someone with experience/knowledge hooking up the S4 system on a FIOS internet environment give me some guidence?

Please tell me if my undertsanding below is correct or not:

(1) The internet feed in my house come via a Ethernet cable coming from the ONT to the Verizon Quantum Gateway router.

(2) Is the Verizon Quantum Gateway router a router only, or is it a "modem+router"?

(3) I was told that the modem for the FIOS is inside the ONT box and that the Verizon Quantum Gateway is just a plain router, but not a modem-router combo.

(4) If (3) above is correct, does it mean that when I setup the S4, I should plug the Ethernet cable stright out from the ONT into one of the S4's Ethernet ports?

(5) If (4) above is correct, does it matter which Ethernet port on the S4 I should use to make that connection?

(6) During setup, should I select "Dynamic IP" when it asks for the internet connection type?

Thanks in dvance.

@Rappaport_Art 

Seems like you jumped and made the choice. 

I suggest that you download the User Guide if you have not already.  https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

It is a combination Modem/Router. Yes the Fiber demark is external to the Quantum Gateway.

You should make the determination as to how you intend to structure your network.

I would suggest that you set up the Quantum Gateway in "Bridge Mode", thus allowing all Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections to be handled by the Deco Mesh. Plug your main Deco Node Ethernet cable into one of the Orange Ethernet port#1 connector on the back of the Quantum Gateway. None of the other connections on this device should be used.  Doing so will cause double IP Natting which will cause you difficulties and connectivity issues. There are some instructions available on the Internet, but if you are not experienced in Networking, I would suggest that you reach out to Verizon support and tell them that you will be using ya mesh router and you need them to configure the "Bridge" mode for the Quantum Gateway.

The port on the S4 will make no difference.

Yes use Dynamic.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3762

Replies: 1

Related Articles