AX90 (AX6600) access control whitelist not working properly for Android devices and Chromebooks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX90 (AX6600) access control whitelist not working properly for Android devices and Chromebooks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-04 13:07:30
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20220118 rel.72719(5553)

Model: AX6600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20220118 rel.72719(5553)
Hardware Version: Archer AX90 v1.0/v1.20

I am using access control with a whitelist on my (new) AX90 and it won't let Android devices or Chromebooks connect to the network after they leave and try to rejoin. (The Android devices checked the "use device MAC" and not "use randomized MAC" when they initially attached, so that is not the issue. Also, the Chromebook that attached has no option to use randomized MACs, so it uses device MAC as well.)

Further details: When the SSID is hidden (2.4G or 5G), the device will never re-join until access control is turned off. When the SSID is not hidden, the device can rejoin, but cannot connect to the router admin login page (I only tried this for a non-hidden 2.4G network). Windows devices, using either 2.4G or 5G, and simple devices like printers that are 2.4G only, re-connect fine, whether the SSID is hidden or not.

The router I replaced (not TP-Link brand) used the same SSIDs, passwords, and whitelisted MACs with no issue.

Options
6 Reply
Re:AX90 (AX6600) access control whitelist not working properly for Android devices and Chromebooks
2022-03-07 08:23:49

Hi @Rick_     

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Do all your Android devices and Chromebooks have the same issue? Are they all in the whitelist?

May I have the model and OS of your Android devices and Chromebooks?

BTW, when SSID is not hidden and your Android devices/Chromebooks can't connect to router admin login page, what error message do you get?

Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:AX90 (AX6600) access control whitelist not working properly for Android devices and Chromebooks
2022-03-07 15:03:41

Hi  @Wayne-TP 

All devices are on the whitelist (with device MACs). And all the Android devices (Samsung Galaxy Tab A, Pixel 2, Pixel 4A) and the Chromebook (Acer R13) have the same issue. The Pixel 4A is Android 12, and the Pixel 2 is either Android 10 or 11 (I don't have access to the device at the moment), and the Galaxy Tab A is Android 11/One UI version 3.1.

This is what happens: After I turn on access control (the whitelist is already loaded with all the devices I had put in) the devices have access. After a device leaves the network and comes back (you can also simulate this by rebooting the device) it cannot connect. If I disable access control, the device has access again.

The error I get trying to access the non-hidden network through a browser at tplinkwifi.net is "This site can't be reached... ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" after a long "hang".

Options
2022-03-07 17:37:24

@Wayne-TP 

Further information: I tried with a MacBook Pro and had the same problem. Also, when I added the MacBook to the whitelist through the "add from list" option it got "operation failed" (in the web admin page), even though the device did end up appearing on the whitelist. (This has happened with other devices now that I recall, but I don't remember which.)

Options
2022-03-08 08:52:15

Hi @Rick_     

Thanks for getting back to us. Appreciate the detailed information that you provided. 

We have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2022-04-09 20:02:23

@Wayne-TP 

After multiple email exchanges with TP-Link support the response was that TP-Link does not support using a hidden SSID with access control with Android, Chromebook, and MacBook devices. (I don't know about iPhones since I never tried and didn't ask.). This seems a little odd because that combination worked on all my prior (non-TP-Link) routers. At a minimum it seems this should be noted in the user guide.

Options
2022-05-28 13:19:11

@Rick_ 

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the post. I have the same problem with TP_LINK AX5400. I bought it a few days ago and kept wondering why it doesn't work.

My SSID is hidden and I'm trying to use the "Whitelist". When my device is off WIFI and then comes back. Device cannon connect until I disable "Access Control". I didn't have such a problem with my old D-LINK router. It is a pity that there is no such information in the documentation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 737

Replies: 6